Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    ^ Yes, Puffin! I am the same. I need to check out so that I have the energy to continue.

Originally Posted by puffin
    If they are driving you crazy take them to the park. That is why I get annoyed sometimes by comments about how sad/bad it is that parents are playing with their phones at the park instead of interacting with their kids. I am all interacted out - this is the closest thing I am going to get to a break today. When I was a child I don't remember needing an adult to go to theplaygrouanthey certainly didn't feel needed to entertain me all the time.

Oops. Guesss I hit my own sensitive spot.

You're not the only one!

Do you feel judged while you're at the park, our is it just the online parent police? Around here about half the parents are on the phone, half playing with the kids.

We try to do physical things. Take them to the park where they can ride their bikes all around. Yesterday DS6 and his 2 year younger brother rode their bikes for 1 1/2 hours. I thought that would have burned off some steam. But, no...after that he still wanted to run around the block, it is 1 mile...I am exhausted too. The younger is more into the discussions, predictions of "what will happen after" type stuff. It goes on and on.....you are not alone...

C
    C
    This is a challenge. Especially in parts of the country where it is hard to get outside in the winter or summer b/c of hot/cold. We try to build in as much physical activity as we can as it is good for the kids and it wears them out. We actually hire a energetic babysitter on the weekends even though we don't go out - the sitter comes "off the bench" and gives us some quality minutes so we can do laundry/dishes/chores or just curl up in a fetal position on the couch.

Inside one thing we do is to put stuff in rectangular laundry baskets and have the kids push them around (like engines shunting freight cars or tugboats pushing barges).

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Originally Posted by Displaced
    It is such a relief to see that others are also in the same situation. This has been such a good source of ideas for me. I think we'll start off by enforcing more limits (DS also has a horrible habit of interrupting as well), incentives, audiobooks, chores, and possibly instruments as well. We're still working on reading, and I'm even starting to leave the house to exercise when DH comes home (mommy time!). Most structured out of the home activities will probably have to wait until summer though. These are great! I think I'll order story of the world soon to start off. I was going to use it for car rides, but why not at home too?

I used to not wait until their dad got home and would put the kids n the kid care at the gym (free) and then go into the locker room and read a book or take a shower in peace....sometimes I even worked out. grin

So Funny! I am considering joining a gym... smile

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by chay
    DS is now 7.5 and I totally get what you're saying. We did many of the ideas above and we also bought a tablet at Christmas which DH loaded up with educational stuff (Quirks and Quarks podcasts, Vi Hart videos, Numberphile videos, and many more that I'm forgetting). We don't use it often but when his intense questioning can't be immediately handled we bring it out to keep him occupied. Being bombarded by Vi Hart for 15 min helps fulfill his need for learning wink The Cosmos series is a weekly highlight in our house and is a nice break for everyone.

I second the mommy time! I'm an introvert and I find I have to make sure that I make the time to get out and go for a run or do something similar so I can be at my best for him. When I don't take care of myself, it makes everything much more challenging.

ETA - Love it sweetie!!!

Thanks for these recs. We had a cheap tablet that broke, but I'm considering getting another for this reason. I had only "educational" type games on it as well as kindle books and I felt no problem allowing him to play that any time.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    OP Offline
    It is good to see that I am not alone! And I think with guidance it can be moderated. I love taking DS to the park after school to help him burn off some energy. Also what has recently worked is undivided attention to play his games X minutes every so often (more focused direct playful attention vs just conversation all the time). Giving him chores has accomplished a goal in that he has to focus on that for a bit. I think a lot of it is just immaturity that will improve with age.

K
    K
    My DS8 is also a chatty kid. From the moment he could talk he has been asking questions. First it started with "Why?" every 10 seconds. Now it is "What are the 6 flavors of quarks?" (He knows the answer he just wants to quiz everyone all of the time) or "Will you edit my newspaper article I wrote?" or "Can you take me to the store to buy materials to build my latest invention?"

He also talks to himself. And before he had a brother to talk to, he talked to imaginary friends. 

The constant intensity is truly a challenge to deal with. Sometimes I just want to scream (and sometimes I actually do!) I feel guilty asking him to stop talking and asking questions because I love that he has such passion for learning and exploring. I don't want to stifle his mind but I do need a break now and then. I am an introvert to make matters worse.

We have tried to let him run around outside to burn off energy but it doesn't work for him. Sometimes it does just the opposite. I am also guilty of letting the TV occupy his mind for a while so I can get things done in peace. Making sure that he is getting intense cognitive stimulation is a requirement around here. If his brain is being challenged he generally behaves better and is less of a handful.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by momosam
    Originally Posted by puffin
    If they are driving you crazy take them to the park. That is why I get annoyed sometimes by comments about how sad/bad it is that parents are playing with their phones at the park instead of interacting with their kids. I am all interacted out - this is the closest thing I am going to get to a break today. When I was a child I don't remember needing an adult to go to theplaygrouanthey certainly didn't feel needed to entertain me all the time.

Oops. Guesss I hit my own sensitive spot.

You're not the only one!

Do you feel judged while you're at the park, our is it just the online parent police? Around here about half the parents are on the phone, half playing with the kids.

There was a front page article in the paper the other day by some children's exercise programme guy saying how sad/bad it was. Of course the week before there was one blaming parents for not letting children take risks. Can't really win. The on-line community is often judgemental in this respect. I do play with my kids more than my parents ever played with me (things were different then) but there are two of them so asking them to play together at the playground while I have a break doesn't seem unreasonable. Also I took them to the playground - some kids never get taken anywhere. But I am tired, I work and solo parent 2 HG+ kids and I am an introvert. I need peace from time to time.

And in case I wasn't clear, I'm one of the ones paying more attention to my phone, or sitting there staring into space.

Last edited by momosam; 04/21/14 07:06 PM. Reason: phone typing is hard
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM