Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #188754 04/18/14 06:01 AM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I thought I'd check in to see if there are any online tools for assessing and/or building reading comprehension. My son is 6 (in a half day K program) and is reading at a 3rd-4th grade level. He is voracious in his reading but hates to discuss his reading. When he reads something that he absolutely loves (which happens often), he will gush about the book and I can then ascertain that he has comprehended the story, sequence of events, conflicts, etc. On a day-to-day basis, however, he'd rather not discuss most reading and any questions result in a battle on his part. Talking about books is "boring" and a "waste of time", he'd rather be reading. I do think he is understanding most of what he's reading, based on conversations he'll independently have about books and just his general knowledge base, but I care because I want him challenged appropriately in school. Currently, he's pulled out 2x/week with an upper level reading group, and I've been told he's at the top of the group. He hates the reading group. They are working on 2nd grade level text for comprehension but he's reading well above that at home. He loathes the books and tries to skip school on reading group days (pretending to be sick) because he thinks reader's workshop is dreadful ("WHY is it called 'Reader's Workshop'!?!? They don't let us read!!").

On the one hand, I myself always hated book discussions and would much rather read more than talk about the same story over and over, but much of formal schooling IS talking about what you have read, so he's going to run into trouble here.

We are having him tested on the 9th so we'll have more data re: where he is actually reading/comprehending as we plan for 1st grade, but I'm anticipating a battle from the school re: the comprehension issue because of his attitude.

I hope this made sense. DS is doing karaoke Let it Go as I type.

S
    S
    With my older son I could say...a friend of mine on the internet was wondering if the book you are reading is appropriate for her son. Can you tell me about it? (open ended start) and then that would allow me to ask more specific questions as follow up.

Or I could ask what books would he recommend for kids who love to read as much as he does and then follow up with why he would recommend them and then some specific questions. And the opposite...I can ask what books he would recommend for kids who are reluctant readers.

I also have the...your younger brother wants to read that book after you are finished...would you say it is an appropriate book for him or not? And that opens the door to book discussions.

Basically with my teenage son I have to be sneaky now...but when he wasn't so hormonally challenged we have always had dinner time book club. My sons have enjoyed that we will also read what they are reading (they convince us that we HAVE to read it) and discuss the books over dinner. I actually had a Captain Underpants themed birthday years ago because that was the book craze that summer and I had the summer birthday (I am a good sport).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    B
    B
    You could look into ReadWorks.org or RazKids. A lot of people here don't like RazKids (and you'd probably have to pay for a subscription), but my 7 yo DS likes it. I'm not sure if there is an assessment, but there are books that they can read on their own or listen to the audio, then multiple choice test questions and they can earn points to buy virtual prizes. Readworks has comprehensension questions but doesn't automatically score them like RazKids. It's more something that you'd print out and give him like a reading passage and then a worksheet to go with it. Readworks is free.

I
    I
    Reading Detective: http://www.criticalthinking.com/reading-detective.html

We have the online version. DS has only done a little so far. I plan on having him do it more consistently over the summer.

C
    C
    My ds would not discuss his reading with me in K, unless he was incredibly excited by the book.

I would receive similar non-responses to questions like "how was your day?"

Testing eased my mind that my ds was comprehending his books, or at least comprehending enough to sit for long periods of time and read.

I think that a) kindergartners in general aren't the greatest communicators and b) my son would balk because he wants his books (and his day) to be "his" thing- not some assignment where he has to report back to me.

I let it go at the time. Now, that he's in first, I noticed that he will start to loosen up and tell me more about academic life at school, and bit about what he is reading.

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    One of my dc's was like this. He also refused to answer the kind of emotional, open-ended questions that grade-school English (sorry, Language Arts) is full of: "How did the book make you feel?" "Have you ever been in the same situation?" "What's the schema for the book (meaning context/connections to real life)?" etc. Hated, hated, hated that stuff and didn't see the point. Me either. He was hugely relieved to progress to homeschool at age 9 and then to high-school English, both of which we run on a college model. He now loves analyzing text rather than emoting about it or summarizing it.

So, I sympathize with you and your ds. Do you think he might be willing to write about what he reads, e.g., a little book review blog or something? Picking up on Sweetie's idea, you could say, truthfully, it would be helpful to others to know what the book is about and what was good or bad about it. That would build some analytical thinking while also testing comprehension. He might even write or start some peer reviews for the local library -- our library will post (well-done) peer reviews near books. Just a thought.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably help my dc build analytical opinions supported by the text. Even at a young age, they and you together probably can tease out some reasons why a book is good or bad (you liked the narrator; why? you didn't think the characters were interesting; why? It was boring; why?).

T
    T
    How is he on discussing comprehension of non-reading things? I'm thinking playground situations, movies, etc. Do you gave conversations to help him figure out why Sam was angry at Kate, and what Kate meant when she said Sam, etc.

The cold never bothered me anyway.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by GF2
    "How did the book make you feel?" "Have you ever been in the same situation?" "What's the schema for the book (meaning context/connections to real life)?" etc.

There's a big difference in asking "How would you feel?" & "What would you do?" One question is more emotionally based & the other is more action based, but both prove higher level comprehension. Unfortunately most teachers focus on social/emotional comprehension questions, rather than action oriented questions, to the chagrin of many students, particularly boys.

Last edited by KathrynH; 04/18/14 07:48 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by GF2
    help my dc build analytical opinions supported by the text.
    This is what reading detective attempts to do - it asks questions and the child answers and then has to highlight the text that supports the answer.

K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I just love this group. Thank you all for the ideas. A lot of great food for thought here.

Sweetie-- I love the idea of a dinner book club. My husband works long hours and is not always home for dinner so, to this point, I've been reading aloud to the kids (6, 4, 2.5) during dinner but I can see this turning into a book club. Great idea.

Blackcat & Irena- Thank you for the sites. I will look into those.

Cammom- Sounds exactly like my DS. This issue isn't exclusive to reading. He doesn't discuss school at all, unless something truly exciting happened. I just know that the reading comp piece is huge in elementary school so him staying mum on this topic concerns me a bit.

GF2- Exactly! I'm a bibliophile and always excelled in Language Arts and writing, but I always loathed the comprehension questions. I can recall complaining to my mom about the whole "read these three paragraphs and answer these multiple choice questions" even though I would ace them. So, I see his point. Buuuut, I was more of a pleaser as a student and would do X, Y, Z and move on. He is more stubborn, like his Dad smile

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a book review blog, or local library reviews. These two ideas may really rope him in.

Tallulah, Your last line made me burst out laughing. Good Lord, the music is great but I'm so, so over it. smile He will answer social comp type questions when in the mood.

Kathryn- Great point. I'll try to make sure I'm asking action questions and see if I get more from the little guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM