Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    ... I replied, "given my IQ, my mental age is actually much higher than X and I should be allowed to do Y".
    This is very good self-advocacy! smile

He thought this was arrogant and did not agree.
    Is it possible that he had an anti-intellectual attitude and therefore would regard any high-IQ individual as arrogant? Unfortunately this runs rampant in our society.

So if you tell your child she has a high IQ, she may decide that is able to learn things and make decisions usually reserved for much older children. I think this attitude is generally valid, but it could have drawbacks.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained...!

My 10yo son has not taken an IQ test, but his SAT math+reading composite score overlaps with the scores of students at good 4-year colleges. I think he can study some subjects at the college level if he puts his mind to it.
    Absolutely! Every kid's readiness & ability should be met with opportunity to continue developing their skills & talents at the next level in a manner which suits them, helping them develop internal locus of control.

Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I don't think showing them a normal curve is a very good idea at all. It does not represent them as a part of their immediate peers and community at all, and it exaggerates the rarity of the high scores.

Assuming my family is similar to yours, then our children, as relatively affluent children of highly educated parents are going to be surrounded by relatives, family friends and classmates who are largely affluent and educated - these correlate with higher IQs. I doubt any of my friends children have an IQ much below 120 or 130. The real balance of the curve, the people with IQs below 70, are not going to be in your children's classes. And for a PG, their counterpart at the other end of the bell curve with an IQ of 55 would not even be at a public school (I assume, don't know that much about special ed).

But the kid you're showing that bell curve to doesn't understand that and would get an inflated sense of their own brilliance.

this pic illustrates it better than my words do
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NTpL_Vt8y...iAbNLCBA/s1600/100622+IQs+compared+2.JPG

Well, it depends on the extent and nature of the discussion. For my DD, it definitely included a discussion of comparisons with people she DOES know, and an appreciation for the fact that look, this is the slice of this curve that you live in day to day, and this is where you seem to be...

If anything, that discussion failed to prepare her for what her SAT scores at 13 suggested statistically within the TIP cohort.

(I posted about that moment earlier this month, I think).

So no, the normal distribution discussion, handled carefully, was a means of granting her the gift of understanding that she IS different from most people she knows in this one way... and not so different in some of these other ways. See, we didn't stop with cognitive ability in terms of a normal distribution-- but also talked about artistic ability, athleticism, height, etc.

Actually, the growth curves are a great jumping off point for older gifty children-- because it helps them to understand that their developmental ARC is different.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM