Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I think this essay makes an important point: the College Board is making big changes in the SAT without any evidence that the new test will better predict success in college.

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2014/04/sat-new-test-hasnt-been-tested.html
    SAT: The new test hasn't been tested
    by Steve Sailer
    April 16, 2014

Looking through the couple hundreds pages of verbiage that the College Board has released about their revisions to the SAT, I haven't found any evidence that they've tested the new test they've announced. It wouldn't be terribly hard to carry out research to see what kind of questions predict college performance best, but they don't seem to have done any research whatsoever involving potential questions. They've conducted various market research studies (focus groups, surveys, etc.) of what various people say they want in the SAT, but they have done nothing to see if what they've announced will actually work.

There's an amusing irony here: the SAT is a test used to predict how individuals do. But, as for predicting how the predictor is going to work, well, we'll just have to wing it. This strikes me as fundamentally irresponsible -- nearly a couple of million kids per year take the SAT -- but all too typical of contemporary elites in America.

This is the fundamental problem, actually.

Well, it's not limited to College Board, either-- ACT dances around it, as well. The real reason why colleges are going test-optional, or, as Dude and I discussed earlier-- relying upon their OWN metrics with incoming students-- is that standardized testing is HORRIBLE at predicting college success, and every successive iteration seems to make the connection more tenuous still.

Oh. Tenuous. Another of those strange words, I suppose.

smirk

And while yes, I expect that the top 10% is likely to be relatively unfazed by the shift, the real problem is when you have teens who are living in a RADICALLY different mental/cognitive space from those writing test items. Just because something seems to be good at differentiating the center of the distribution curve (say the 5th through 95th percentiles) doesn't mean that weird things can't occur outside of that range.

What was the admission rate at the Ivies this year, again?

RIGHT.

So this kind of revamping stands (at least potentially) to harm the very top of the distribution by making the test questions unanswerable if you know TOO MUCH.

I've seen this again and again and again with DD-- the SAT already had issues this way, and everything I have seen of the 'rewrite' thus far indicates that it elevates ambiguity in trying to make itself much more "clever" than before... but the problem is that when a test like that is HARDER the more you know, it's not measuring performance or potential very well for the top __th percentile, whatever it turns out to be. The questions get harder when you can see them in ways that are CORRECT, but which test writers never anticipated.

Beta testing doesn't give you sufficient numbers to really KNOW that you have a big problem on your hands there until it happens during rollout.

This part of things (IMO) stands to harm MG+ students the most. Probably increasingly so with increasing LOG.

Not to mention the fact that validation here doesn't mean what they think it does. It's the dumbest idea EVER to 'align' the SAT with high school curriculum rather than with what college faculty are saying is deficient in incoming freshmen. I expect that this move will simply make that gap all the more apparent, myself. Hello? Secondary education? Yeah-- you're.not.listening. crazy

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by indigo
    The significance of "supporting components" is that looking only at the STANDARDS themselves(as some may suggest) provides information on only one piece of common core. To better understand the common core, interested parties may wish to understand the "supporting components".

No, because that's equivocation.

Yes, the SAT is going to make changes in order to align with Common Core. But the SAT is not Common Core, it's the SAT. Learning about changes to the SAT doesn't teach you about Common Core, it teaches you about changes to the SAT.

There's nothing in the standards that says that the SAT should be testing for high-frequency vocabulary words rather than archaic ones. That's a choice they made on their own.
    The Race To the Top Executive Summary document indicates the alignments and supporting components which are required to be responsive to CCSS.

Therefore some may say that learning about changes to these components does provide insight into the specific item which they are required to be responsive to.

Understanding supporting components to better understand an object is not unique to common core and does not constitute equivocation. For example, in studying a gifted child, some experts wish to also know about the parents... in studying a bridge or building, it may be important to know what undergirds it.

The relationships between things indicate a system. There is no conflation, ambiguity, or deception. From the common core website "The Importance of a Standards-Based System Many respondents said that while it is important to get the standards right, standards are only one part of a complex system."

I do not feel the need to persuade or convince. In raising awareness of resources (shared in previous posts on this thread), each person may respectfully follow his/her own inclinations and leanings.

The publisher's criteria reminds us: "...reading well means gaining the maximum insight or knowledge possible from each source."

Val Offline
    ... standardized testing is HORRIBLE at predicting college success, and every successive iteration seems to make the connection more tenuous still.

Oh. Tenuous. Another of those strange words, I suppose.

Wait. Does this mean they have to take the test ten times in order to make a connection? confused I made a connection once. I wouldn't want to do it again, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Val
    Wait. Does this mean they have to take the test ten times in order to make a connection? confused I made a connection once. I wouldn't want to do it again, but that's just me.

Yeah, I found it rather painful, myself wink

Another of those contextually ambiguous test items, that. wink

I'm sure that the average student would have no trouble with that statement. Ergo, it must be fine as a means of determining who understands the word tenuous.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Another of those contextually ambiguous test items, that. wink

I'm sure that the average student would have no trouble with that statement. Ergo, it must be fine as a means of determining who understands the word tenuous.

Snort! laugh

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I think this essay makes an important point: the College Board is making big changes in the SAT without any evidence that the new test will better predict success in college.
    Agreed. In a 15-page document dated March 05, 2014, and titled Higher Education and the Redesigned SAT, College Board shares that there are plans to research predictive validity. Meanwhile there is a disclaimer - "Safe Use Warning: SAT scores should only be used in combination with other relevant information to make responsible decisions about students." Who knew?!

The free downloadable PDF document also shares that Khan Academy will provide free test prep... and rich score reports will be available (subscore reporting). More information in the 211-page DRAFT about the redesigned SAT test and scores, plus sample test questions including the Heart of Algebra.

Cartoon time, anyone? New buzzwords: Safe Use Warning... rich score reports... heart of algebra.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM