Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    Is it a possibility for the school counselor to observe the class? I guess it would be hard for them to do this without knowing the specific concerns that you may not want to share with school personnel. However, that is common in our schools, as well as other professionals observing. They never say who they are observing and they may have some interesting observations.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    If a teacher told me that I wasn't allowed to observe my DD at her classroom, I would laugh at them. If they didn't get the joke, I'd remind the teacher they work at a "public" school, and then I'd remind them of the public laws that guarantee me the right to access.

Such laws vary from state to state, natch, so I'd advise you to check yours.

And then, in a less playful manner, I'd ask the teacher why they think they should have unmonitored access to juveniles.

Exactly.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    I'm with Dude -- no way they deny me access to my child's class.

And the only classrooms where students' names are a secret are my son's e-school ones. He can see all the names and posts, but in my parent log-in, all I can see are his posts, the teachers' posts, and the greyed-out existence of all the other posts, names and avatars.

K
    K
    When you are in the classroom at our school as a volunteer or otherwise, you have to sign a confidentiality agreement. We are not allowed to share our observations about other students outside of the class. Maybe you could offer to sign something similar to allay their privacy concerns?

Originally Posted by knute974
    When you are in the classroom at our school as a volunteer or otherwise, you have to sign a confidentiality agreement. We are not allowed to share our observations about other students outside of the class. Maybe you could offer to sign something similar to allay their privacy concerns?

I wonder what the consideration is for such a confidentiality agreement.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by knute974

For public school we have access without signing anything. For the private gifted pull out program we are not allowed access. The child can't even visit before attending. This is because it disrupts the flow of the class.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM