Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #188621 04/17/14 06:43 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    We are currently working with an educational psychologist to complete testing for DS7. Part of what she has asked me to do is to observe him during his gifted pull-out. She wants me to see his energy levels and get a better sense about this teacher. She said, "I have many, many concerns" about this situation in the gifted class, specifically the teacher. When I asked to observe, the gifted teacher said that wasn't allowed so they could protect the privacy of the students in the class. Anyone else experience this?

It has been a very difficult year with this teacher and I'm trying to get a sense if this is more difficulty or a legitimate reason from her.

I
    I
    Usually the psychologist wants to do the observation - they usually do not rely on the parent to do that. In fact, I think testing/evaluating psychs generally do not trust the parent to make an unbiased in-class observation (I don't necessarily agree with that but I do believe that is the mindset). Will they deny her access to observe? I highly doubt it - it's very common practice here when a child is being evaluated though the necessary waivers and consents need to be signed. Either way, I do find it troubling they will not allow you to observe. However, I do know also that privacy is a concern. The teachers will never refer to another student in DS's gifted class by name - they say they are not permitted to do so even though they know my child tells me who is in the class with him. The psych doing the observing would definitely be a way around that as she would not know and would be bound not to reveal, identify or discuss the other children in the class by name.

Last edited by Irena; 04/17/14 07:01 AM.
    I also think an ed psych would offer to observe as part of their services or for a fee. That is part of the process for testing for some children. To have you observe would just give a general idea of what's happening. Even then, to have a parent observe would (for my DS) change his behavior immensely in class.

Last edited by Displaced; 04/17/14 07:03 AM.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    K
    K
    Totally agree that it is more common and helpful for the psych to perform the observation. I can tell you from experience that kids almost never behave the same way with a parent in the class as they would on a normal day. (I've never seen a child's behavior NOT change under these circumstances! Sometimes the behavior is better, and sometimes it is worse, but I've NEVER seen it be the same.) Many teachers will change their behaviors when another adult is present also. Often the presence of a psych will also change the student's behavior as well as the teacher's behavior... but you would hope the psych is experienced enough to sort this out.

However, not allowing you to observe is a big red flag! The only way I could see your presence as a privacy violation is if you want to be present on test day. Parent observations can be stressful for many teachers (even good ones), but should be granted within reason.

Last edited by KathrynH; 04/17/14 07:20 AM.
    S
    S
    So you're never allowed in the classroom? There aren't parent volunteers? Ever? That seems very strange to me. I would talk to your principal and perhaps the district to find out the policy. I find it very hard to believe that a parent is not allowed into a classroom to observe.

N
    N
    I would agree with having the psych do it. We had one done for DS at his preschool, and only notified the director(and provided all waviers etc) so that the teacher would not know who or why (just that the class is being observed). And we made sure it was an adult DS never seen so that he would not know it was him (the director was vague enough).

Don't all teachers, regardless of what they are teaching, expect that they could be observed randomly, even if just to evaluate the teacher? I can understand not allowing parents since I lived in some really major tiger-parent towns where parents would really be on attack for the most minor issues (and where they spent all their time trying to shove their kids ahead of everyone else), but the school should allow professionals to observe... otherwise I would question what the teacher is doing behind that closed door. For something like this, I wonder if the principal is the person to talk to about observation rather than the teacher.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks everyone. The ed psych is an hour away. I'm sure she would do it but I can't imagine what it would cost me.

Also, I'm concerned about what the fallout would be from her observing this class. So far, this school has been uncooperative and defensive every time we've asked a question. It sounds crazy to suggest that there would be "fallout" from a professional evaluating a student, but it's been a shocking year in terms of school response. I'm a little apprehensive to say the least.

L
    LRS Offline
    L
    Weird. You need to observe that class. That is not normal AND the psych has concerns about the teacher specifically!?

C
    C
    I think it's worth asking what the psychologist would charge to observe. Even if it seems expensive (and the only way to know is to ask) the information you get may be invaluable. It's helpful to de-escalate the situation to make clear that the child is being observed - not the teacher (even if that is not strictly accurate).

If a teacher told me that I wasn't allowed to observe my DD at her classroom, I would laugh at them. If they didn't get the joke, I'd remind the teacher they work at a "public" school, and then I'd remind them of the public laws that guarantee me the right to access.

Such laws vary from state to state, natch, so I'd advise you to check yours.

And then, in a less playful manner, I'd ask the teacher why they think they should have unmonitored access to juveniles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM