Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    lys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi I am new to the gifted world. My son is 6 and in first grade and just finished his IQ test. I'm ready to get things going for him.
    When we moved to the city we knew to avoid public school and start with private school. But hg kids are not recognized nor challenged and in PA only public schools have mandates. I feel lost and alone trying to find help for my little boy with so much potential.
    I tried to explain to my son's teacher that he needs more challenging work or extra assignments to keep him out of trouble but she only sees him as "trouble" or trying to get attention. She has frequently written home that he is a distraction. Most of the time, he is finished and others take much longer to complete tests ect.
    I called the principal, but the conversation was very short.
    The public school will take up to 60 days to process my request( April plus 60 days ), but next year they will offer a gifted afternoon once per week. I can personally drive him and sign him in and out of each school.
    I am looking for anyone who has partially paved a gifted road in the Philadelphia School District, that could offer advice.

C
    C
    Welcome lys! I can't help re Philadelphia, but I'll bump for you.

I will say: be sure not to let giftedness be a reason to dismiss behaviour issues. Typically 6yos don't spend much time doing tests etc.; it would be surprising if your DS literally having nothing to do were much of the reason for the teacher's complaints. Even if his behaviour is in some sense justified, it's a lot easier to get accommodation for a well-behaved gifted child who is liked by his teachers than for one who is considered a bit of a nuisance, I think, so it's worth paying attention to.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    N
    I'm not sure where he is now - there are so many private schools in the Philadelphia area - but I really don't think that any school meets the needs of an HG kid. That being said, I personally could not homeschool (or do virtual school) with my kids. We just can't be around each other 24/7. However, if that is an option, you could try that. In PA, your home district must let your kid participate in after-school activities, tryout for sports, etc.

I know of gifted kids both in Philadelphia and nearby who are HG /PG. Very few grade skipped or left early for college. They were not challenged, but they had the full school experience. If he is in a good private school (or was in a good suburban district), he likely won't be challenged, but he should be around others like him.

Mine attended a private school near City Ave. in the elementary years. Some kids lived in Philadelphia. They left after 4th grade to attend Masterman. Most kids enter Masterman in 5th. Almost all Masterman HS students come from the Masterman Middle School, but only about half of the MS students are accepted to the HS. At least five kids from my eldest's class at the private school went to Masterman. They are now all at an Ivy or other elite school. Masterman always has the highest SAT average among public HS in PA.

Do the afternoon gifted program once a week if you want, but try to be patient and wait for 5th grade at Masterman. High schools like Central and Girls High (or whatever it is called now) used to be good, but the SAT scores are now barely above average.

L
    lys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks. I will try and be patient and try summer programs for now. Mastermans for 5th grade seems very far away (4 years). Sigh

N
    N
    There are some good summer programs in the Philadelphia area. Some are pricey, some not. I didn't mean to say that there aren't any options before 5th grade. Are there other kids like him at his private school? If not, have you considered other private schools? Philadelphia Magazine publishes a summary chart of private school stats. While the classroom work probably won't be up to his level at any school, there will be other kids like him at some schools.

Is the current school a K-12 school? If so, do you know how many NMSF there are each year? It isn't a perfect indicator, but if a good percentage of the senior class students are semi-finalists or commended, you'll know that there are other gifted kids in the school.

B
    B
    Maybe there are public schools in Philadelphia that are exceptional, but the Pulitzer-Prize-winning series of articles
    investigating violence in the school system

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/special_packages/inquirer/school-violence/118812644.html
    Assault on Learning
    Philadelphia Inquirer

would make me extremely reluctant to send my children to Philadelphia public schools.

L
    lys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I am aware of the Philadelphia school system, having lived in this area my entire life and much more in depth knowledge than any article. This is why I am sending my children to private school. Thanks

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM