Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    I used to think DS5 had ADHD because of his constant talking, asking questions, low desire to repeat activities or games, and other behaviors. I was certain of it, until it was dismissed as a diagnosis (for now at least) by the ed. psychologist during testing. After doing some reading on G kids, I wonder if that is the cause for his behaviors. Him either needing constant information/verbal stimulation, or maybe just how his brain needs different things.

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed at times. This behavior was always present (constant talking every minute he's awake), but I find myself having lower tolerance for it as I get older and am less able to multitask. I call for quiet times (no talking until X activity is done) just so I can concentrate. This will work occasionally while driving or when I need to get something hot out of the oven. Usually at other times it's ineffective for more than 5 min. Another poster mentioning her DS making sounds reminded me of DS. Though my DS has random squeals while excited, the talking is usually worse for my concentration because I can't ignore talking.

Any tips or just random parental/gifted advice? I've instituted a "play time" immediately after school to help DS burn off energy, we walk to and from school, and I try to limit TV but he still gets more than I'd like. Will this decrease as DS gets older? Should I start to enforce quiet times or just hope this will improve? TIA!

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I am going to make a quick list of things I do to get some peace with DS6.

Audiobooks with headphones

Assign Chores - trash, pet poop, laundry sorting, dog brushing, etc.

Documentaries - Netflix is great for this

Drawing/Writing Journal - all the stuff that he is wanting to talk about, put it on paper

Puzzles

N
    N
    My DD7 seems to require noises coming out of her mouth all the time, as well. She talks to me from the moment I get home until bedtime, unless she's distracted by a game on the computer or a TV show while she's eating dinner. She talks to herself in the bathtub, and in bed. I know what you mean about getting older and losing the multitasking brain -- I have to give her distractions just so I can hear myself think.

M
    M
    Youngest child never stops talking, including sleep talking at times. But eldest child expressed this need for making/experiencing sound at all times through making all manner of noises, most of them truly awful. The talk is more mentally exaubsting because you try to always listen and respond, and I really can't multitask anymore. But living with a noise machine was a years long sensory trauma that I would never wish on anyone, I often felt like I was being physically attacked, some of her noises were nails on a blackboard awful.

S
    S
    Can youngest child take up a wind instrument? Even learning how to play the recorder...can't talk and blow at the same time.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    S
    S
    Since we limit screen time in this house, reading and audiobooks are my savior. Especially when driving!

A
    A
    We don't have any TV in our house. The only time there is no noise in our house is when DS is really hungry and trying to eat quickly. The rest of the time, it is a barrage of questions. I am an introvert and do like to think quietly. But, that is one of the things that I gave up after becoming a parent. It is emotionally exhausting and it feels like there is no time to gather my own thoughts.
    The things that help me are structured extracurricular activities - I get an hour to myself when someone else is putting DS through his paces. And the bonus is that he enjoys them and he gets tired enough to fall asleep in the nights without a million questions arising at bedtime.

Val Offline
    We don't really allow extremes of excessive talking in our house. Two of our kids are quite talkative, with one very much so. When he gets going on a monologue, an adult tells him to stop. We explain that other people have a right to talk, that other people may want to finish dinner without feeling talked at, or that "I want some quiet time." It's an ongoing process and it takes time.

I believe that being a parent doesn't mean I have an absolute obligation to listen to every word my child says. IMO, kids need to learn that they can't just yak at people (because this is what this behavior amounts to), and that doing so is disrespectful.

Last edited by Val; 04/17/14 09:22 AM. Reason: Add missing r to lean
    M
    M
    Val we absolutely tell them to stop too, still working on the 12 yr old, who has improved enormously. We've had zero impact on the youngest as yet, but it will come. It's unfortunate that you can't stop them sleep talking...

A
    A
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Val we absolutely tell them to stop too, still working on the 12 yr old, who has improved enormously. We've had zero impact on the youngest as yet, but it will come. It's unfortunate that you can't stop them sleep talking...

MumOfThree, we have the same model of child. There's no night time "off" switch, talking or otherwise. wink

PMd you.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM