Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #188117 04/12/14 11:15 AM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Have you seen the common core movie?

It asks important questions such as: Are opponents “making the perfect be the enemy of the good?”

The 40-minute documentary by HSLDA presents speakers pro and con, informing with a positive tone in which interviewees with various viewpoints and knowledge bases speak of their respect for each other while holding opposing views.

The video shares sources and provides context for many points which have come forward in the media, and which some may have read on discussion forums.

0. Intro to 5:56
    1. Part 1: The Players (5:57 – 12:00)
    2. Part 2: The Validation Committee (12:00 – 15:45)
    3. Part 3: “Among the best in the world…” (15:45 – 26:10)
    4. Part 4: Humans, Not Machines (26:12 – 31:30)
    5. Part 5: The Lynchpin (31:33 – 37:00)

Some key points regardless of one's view of common core may be:
    - "Is education about the child, or the system?"
    - “… the single most important element in a child’s education is parental involvement.”

Some may enjoy or find chilling:

Marc Tucker's “Dear Hilary” 17-page letter about transforming US education by approximating the German system: focusing on workforce development, and creating great databases of student information. (7:58 – 8:16)

Implications for impacts to college/university education (18:39-24:00), including Jason Zimba's testimony: “not for selective colleges” (20:49-21:24)

D
    D
    In past experience, HSLDA's "pro and con" treatments tend to involve straw men-- it's an extremely ideological organization. Not having seen this film (and not planning to), I wouldn't expect it be anything resembling fair.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I do not feel the need to persuade or convince. In raising awareness that a 40-minute documentary exists, with proponents and opponents sharing their views, as part of the national discourse on common core... each person may respectfully follow his/her own inclinations and leanings.

BTW, what do you define as "fair" in this context...?
    Factual, truthful...?
    Transparent, crediting sources...?
    Offering both proponent views and opponent views... ?

Or favorable to your viewpoint...?

D
    D
    Some might say that posting a link also helps propagate a point of view.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    As with other topics on the forum, sharing a link may raise awareness of what is available. If others have resources they may wish to share, please feel free to do so.

Thinking along those lines, the U. S. Department of Education's 15-page document, "Race to the Top Program Executive Summary", dated November 2009, and available online at http://www2.ed.gov/programs/racetothetop/executive-summary.pdf, may be of interest. The document mentions that standards are not stand-alone when it states, "... developing a rollout plan for the standards together with all of their supporting components;" (emphasis added). Interested parents may read the document for information on "all of their supporting components".

The U.S. Department of Education's factsheet on "Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems", dated July 2009, and available online at http://www2.ed.gov/programs/slds/factsheet.html, may also be of interest.

While some may see the statements in these documents as positives and others may see them as moving in a direction opposite to the best interests of our students, few may question the credibility of the source.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM