Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jklm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Anyone else know or suspect that seasonal allergies significantly affect their DCs behavior? DS5 has exhibited markedly worse behavior in the past couple of weeks (mostly severe inattention and VERY poor executive function, but also deliberate disobedience and meltdowns), and when DH was complaining of how bad his allergies were last night, it suddenly occurred to me that DS has been sneezing more during approximately the same period of changed behavior.

If you made the seasonal allergy- behavior connections for your DC, what action did you take, and did it resolve or adequately reduce the problem? I plan to try some local honey and vitamin D drops, but does anyone have experience with other remedies, including medication?

P
    P
    No time to post at the moment so I'll be back later with a more detailed reply - but YES, absolutely! How old is your dc?

polarbear

J
    Jklm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi polarbear - DS is 5, and in K.

We all medicate with second-gen antihistamines year round. IMMV, but honestly, if you even suspect that this is an issue, it's time to hit the doctor's office, and I mean a board-certified allergist. First step is going to be to find out WHAT allergens are an issue (if any) and the next is what to do about it. This is not really a DIY project, in spite of popular sentiment on that subject. {sigh} The problem is correlation fallacy-- we're all susceptible to both that and to placebo effects when we try interventions on our own.

IF you see allergies that are having this kind of impact on function, it means (at a minimum) lifestyle modifications. So that (IMO) calls for professional advice.

Atopic disease can be quite serious and have long-term health impact if left untreated/unmanaged. Asthma is a frequent underlying component of atopic disease.

I know that a lot of people swear by supplements or honey-- but mechanistically/scientifically, there's really nothing to suggest that they do (or can) work. Aeroallergens aren't really the type of pollen that bees collect-- if they were, they would rely on insect pollinators, and in that case, they wouldn't be wind-dispersed.

At any rate, that PSA aside, out of control allergies generally lead me to feel stupid and extremely irritable. There is at least one study that shows that atopic people perform FAR worse on A-levels than those without seasonal allergies. So it's a real effect. Medicating with sedating antihistamines can obviously impair cognitive function substantially, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    geez perhaps that explains why DD has been SO explosive the last couple of months! Makes sense, she has really bad seasonal allergies. Have her on flonase, but still snoring at night so maybe I need to go back to oral antihistamines. Plus the nasal steroids do not help with the itchy eyes. I also do not believe honey helps with seasonal allergies as we are mostly allergic to windborne pollen. That said, has anyone had any luck with homeopathic products?

http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Packag...2657&sr=8-3&keywords=homeopathic+allergy

We have had no luck with nasalcromm either.

S
    S
    My family takes daily Zyrtec for seasonal allergies and Benadryl for cats when exposed to them (only my older son for the cat).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    One homeopathic remedy I can strongly recommend: neti pot. It washes out inhaled pollens, for a mild improvement in allergy symptoms, and the salts provide a mild pain relief (just like gargling salt water when you have a sore throat). The BIG benefit is that it prevents secondary bacterial infections, and greatly accelerates the recovery if you do get one. Allergies prime the sinuses for a bacterial takeover, and the infection is usually much worse and longer lasting than the allergies.

Good luck getting a child to use it, though. I can't even get DW to try it.

Otherwise, we're a Zyrtec and nasal steroid household, plus Benadryl as necessary.

A
    A
    An alternative to Dude's great suggestion in a similar vein is salt water nasal sprays. I've sworn by these for more than 3 years since I have been either pregnant or nursing.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Dude, we have used the neti pot here too (well everyone except myself as I do not have allergies), and amazingly the kids kind of enjoy it! But we stopped using it because I couldn't get it to go in through the nasal passage since they are so congested. Have you experienced this?
    I need to go back to this. I think it definitely helps so long as the nose isn't too blocked, especially with the mucous buildup in the throat.

P
    P
    I know when I have slept badly due to coughing, have sore eyes and an itchy throat I am not very cheerful or patient so why would it be different for kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM