Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 228 of 268 1 2 226 227 228 229 230 267 268
    Deliberately vague b/c my DD is in the top 5 in the state.

My kid just launched herself into "elite" competitive status after quite a short period of time spent at that activity, however-- and is quite possibly going to be scouted by elite-elite, (like... elite-with-international-television-coverage) coaches as a result. Competing against people who are (generally) 2-5y older than she is.

I'm sort of in shock. In spite of being so accelerated, and in spite of not much in the way of parental push, my DD is evidently going to be a pretty competitive college athlete. {blink-blink}

shocked

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    wow HK that is awesome and so very brag worthy!! smile

I shall be hoping to see the coverage aired here too then and trying to work out who's who laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    B
    B
    WOW. How exciting, that is exciting news. Now to balance academics and athletics next year.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    DS2 just did his first "big boy" maths. He put two red triangles together and said, "One red square". Then, he had one train in each hand and said, "One train and one train- two trains". Pretty cool!

That's great! Do you have any pattern blocks? We have a little wooden set that DS loves, and he also enjoys building with unifix cubes, which make it easy to intuit simple math concepts while making seemingly math-unrelated creations.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Squishys I love the big boy maths smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    DD14 was told yesterday by her dual-enrollment math teacher that she is one of the strongest math students he has this year... (He also teaches two other dual-enrollment classes-- calculus and college algebra in addition to statistics). She strongly suspects that "one of the" is only because her BFF is in calculus.

She also learned from the teacher that he thinks she is the strongest statistics student he has encountered in his teaching career (of a decade or more). He wants her permission to use her class project as an example for future students-- to show them "how to do it right."

I'm particularly impressed given that she did this with no direction from either us or from that teacher regarding the project-- the teacher has been more or less AWOL in terms of instructional support all year.

Somewhat amusingly, she has also heard lately from English and social studies teachers that {subject area} is clearly "her thing" and that she is "very strong" in those areas-- has she considered a college major in this... wink

It's just sweeter to hear it from the math teacher, who is really not effusive like that-- and in the math, she has to actually think pretty hard.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    We only have coloured wooden blocks. Usually DS just builds buildings, but today he was laying them flat and making shapes. He can't be taught anything lol, he is stubborn and will purposely do things worse if I dare try to teach!

Nah, don't teach if you get pattern blocks. He'll figure it out himself.

A
    A
    Great brag, HK! Isn't it nice to get the external validation that corroborates what you've been telling your DD?

B
    B
    This brag doesn't compare to other people's brags, but I paused to watch DS (7) play minecraft the other day. I NEVER watch this game, and don't really know what they do on there. I stood behind DS and watched as he constructed a ship. He was super fast, it was almost as if he wasn't doing it himself, but it was computer-generated in fast speed. The ship looked like a real ship, like something a graphic artist might do. I asked if he had built ships before, and he said no. He wasn't copying a picture. He said he watched a video about a ship, but that his ship wasn't the same (which I confirmed with DD who watches minecraft videos with him). Even if he was copying someone else's ship by memory, that's pretty impressive. I asked DD if she could do what DS just did and she said "No."

Considering his drawings done by hand look very preschooler-esque because his DCD and fine motor issues, I thought this was very neat.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    She also learned from the teacher that he thinks she is the strongest statistics student he has encountered in his teaching career (of a decade or more). He wants her permission to use her class project as an example for future students-- to show them "how to do it right."

I'm particularly impressed given that she did this with no direction from either us or from that teacher regarding the project-- the teacher has been more or less AWOL in terms of instructional support all year.

My DD10 has shown some surprisingly advanced skill in writing patent claims (at Take Your Child to Work day last year). I think when you're around an adult who does it for a living, you can pick up quite a lot from "shop talk" and comments made around the house. Not to mention heredity from you, of course. Obviously neither statistics skill nor patent drafting are hereditary, but the underlying skills may be.

Page 228 of 268 1 2 226 227 228 229 230 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM