Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    DD3.75 started writing numbers all over the place including furniture so I finally gave in last week and got her started on Singapore Math K Book A. When she tried Dreambox 4 months ago, she placed around 2nd grade but I didn't think it was all that accurate since DD never appeared that advanced to us but now that we're going through SM which is supposed to be aligned with CC, I'm beginning to think that Dreambox is not that off. Looking at the SM content samples, we could have started her from 2nd grade but we're going through all workbooks starting from K and date stamping every single page for documentation, just in case we need evidence for advocacy later.

L
    L
    Mana, I would recommend letting your dd take the assessment for Singapore math and starting at the right level, even if it is 2a. You don't want to bore an enthusiastic kid with problems that are too easy. I used the assessment and should have really gotten the 3a but second guessed and got 2a and 2b. Dd finds that boring and I am skipping all exercises to just do the reviews. Like you, I also date stamp the worksheets.

Last edited by Lovemydd; 04/14/14 04:29 PM.
    M
    M
    Lovemydd, when I'm ready to let DD actually get started on a math curriculum, I'll print out the assessments. Thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten about the placement tests. smile

When she'd be done with both SM K A & B which should be in about 10 days if she stops playing with the date stamp and stops complaining about how it's too easy and more about cutting and pasting than math, we'll (finally) move onto Montessori math materials. Her father doesn't see the point in manipulatives as DD understands abstract representation but I insisted that she still needs to be in the 3D world as much as possible. We'll save mental math/memory work for later. I thought she'd stop writing numbers all over the place once I got her the workbooks but she's still writing and says she wants to see numbers everywhere. She's just weird.

She's getting enough structured learning and challenges from music lesson and note reading (fraction) so for now, math can be all fun and play.

L
    L
    Mana, if your DD is like mine,
    a) she would not finish the SM K series and if you insist that she does, she will whine about how you are torturing her by giving her easy stuff
    b) would resist any instruction from you on the proper use of the Montessori math manipulative but will spend considerable amount (by which I mean 2 weeks) using them in her own way.
    c) At the end of that 2 week period, she will no longer go back to the manipulative but would have learnt a lot such that she can easily do mental math. And in fact, it will be easier for her to work with the abstract representations than the manipulatives.
    d) she will continue to use the walls and furniture for her graffiti work into the foreseeable future no matter how much you threaten her to stop. smile

M
    M
    That's so funny Lovemydd. My DD took one look at page 49 and its corresponding cutouts today and said "No, Mommy. This is completely POINTLESS." I wanted to giggle but I told her that I agree that that page had nothing to do with math and as she already cuts and pastes well enough, she didn't have to do it.

I'm getting her a set of golden beads for her birthday along with a few other things and they'd most likely end up as theatrical properties for her pixie dust shop, bakery, and book store. I got her these a while ago and they have become her favorite open-ended toys along with blue plastic place value blocks:

http://www.amazon.com/Playme-PM0801-Playful-Math/dp/B003U6L8HU s

Sometimes, she uses them as money, other times she uses them as pixie dust ingredients or as cookies and cakes.

It's little weird that she is very much a 3 year old girl and a budding mathematician at the same time. I'm slowly getting used to it. smile

L
    L
    I have to give a shout out to Dreambox. I am stunned. DS6, who seems to like math, has been working recently at 3rd-4th grade level on Dreambox (he started on K in the spring). Outside of school (standard very easy kindergarten curriculum last year), Dreambox has been our primary enrichment, and DS really enjoys it.

He just took the WIAT and scored a 160 on Math!

Something is clicking for DS with Dreambox!

M
    M
    Another shoutout for Dreambox here - my older two love it. We started off slowly with it as they came home for schooling. Now they are both flying with it. I do not interefere unless they ask for help; which means they really do get to work through stuff that they may already know conceptually, but I don't see it as totally bad. When they read the instructions properly or set aside the impatience to listen and watch the teaching points, they do really well at the pre tests.

The later grades (3 and up) cover time, money and geometry concepts.

Having said that, I suspect both older boys will finish with Dreambox this year still - but I will still use it for Dylan, who is right now obsessed with times attack. So he will probably start dreambox later this year.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    L
    LRS Offline
    L
    My son just started Dreambox trial today. He did 17 minutes and I think he likes the format. I don't see any instruction though. But maybe that's because he just started and is doing the easy stuff?

LAF Offline
    If your son doesn't understand something and gets a question wrong, dreambox will show him an example to show them how to solve it. There is also a help button that they can press.

I think there has only been a couple of times my daughter really didn't understand something on dreambox and I had to show her. I did not show her on dreambox because the program adapts to your child's understanding (i.e. if you do the problem for them on DB it will think the child understands and move them on ahead). So I explained the concept to her off the computer, then let her solve the problems on dreambox on her own.

L
    LRS Offline
    L
    Ah yes. Today when he got something wrong I saw it do an explanation. Pretty cool! He enjoys it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM