Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    ps - DeeDee, do you have anything specific you want to look at re the math paper? I can try it out on my iPad if you'd like.

Thanks, Polar.

What are the data entry options like? Does it allow drag-and-drop, or just typing, or some combination? (Panther Writing Paper has amazingly flexible keyboards; wondering if Math Paper is similar, or more constrained.)

It is clear to me that it's useful for elementary math-- video here http://vimeo.com/58327955 -- but not as clear that it's useful for later stages. Do you have a sense of that?

Gratefully,
    DeeDee

I
    I
    Wow - panther math paper looks like it'd be great for my DS with EDS and dysgraphia! I really gotta get him an iPad first though frown

M
    OP Offline
    M
    http://atclassroom.blogspot.com/2010/09/math-math-and-more-math.html

Here is a website from a blogger with a lot of apps and programs specific to math. I found quite a few dead links but by googling, was able to find the products mentioned.

D
    D
    Hi all,

What is the most functional app for typing on a photo of a school worksheet? That is:

--use iPad camera to photograph worksheet
    --type to fill in worksheet
    --email to teacher or print

So far I have looked at:

Type On PDF: this is now Smart Forms and available by subscription only (very disappointing)

Skitch: we're having trouble saving documents (perhaps largely because the app just has icons, no verbal instructions, and I am a verbal person-- or perhaps because it's bad design). Apparently it can work with Evernote but I have not been able to do it, and we lost a piece of work.

Notability: it's not that easy to line up the text block with the space on the worksheet. It would be so cool if you could truly make the typing come out right.

DocAS looks promising, but I haven't got it yet. I am feeling irked at shelling out for app after app in hopes of finding the right thing.

Solutions???

Thanks.

T
    T
    My ds has started using a free ipad app called ModMath that was created to help students with dysgraphia and/or dyslexia show their work.

It allows us to email the whole session directly to the teacher, or to ourselves so we can print it from email.
    It is working well for ds.

The parents of a child with dysgraphia funded building the app but are giving it away for free to help other kids.
    Here is a link to it:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/modmath/id821892964?mt=8

Last edited by titubeante; 04/07/14 05:34 PM.
    P
    P
    DeeDee - that's really disappointing to here that TypeonPDF is now through a subscription service - ugh!

I don't have time to look right now - but have you tried looking at either the Dyslexic Advantage website or the NCLD website? I think they both have lists of apps for dysgraphic/dyslexics that are about as up-to-date as you'll find online.

Let us know what you find!

polarbear

L
    LRS Offline
    L
    Dos anyone have a suggestion for a cheap tablet to use these apps?

I don't have one and I am lost as to what to do with my sons dysgraphia. Insurance will not cover OT and we had to pull him from school and are homeschooling him.

I would like for him to learn to form letters correctly and also to learn to type.

I wonder... is it really bad is he continues to write letters from the bottom up?? For his whole life? I haven't started doing much writing with him yet, because I don't know how to go about it and I don't want to reinforce bad habits.
    He has started some gifted classes at Northwestern and it is obviously affecting his ability to participate already.

For the record, his school didn't recognize the problem. The also didn't recognize that he is hg. They were not teaching him anything at all. Sadly. He is in first grade

P
    P
    LRS, dysgraphia comes in many different forms, shapes, sizes etc.. so take my advice with a grain of salt - I'm just a parent, not a professional. Our neuropsych suggested we teach our ds how to form letters as much as possible through HWOT (at home). It's the same program our school used, fwiw. DS had a really tough time with it and we never did get much of anywhere with it - but he did at least understand the concept of the letters starting at the top thanks to HWOT. The thing that I think held him back with this first step was that he was still suffering from a ton of wrist pain when he tried to write. He did go through handwriting OT, which helped give him a reasonable pencil grip and good posture while writing - which was probably the first step in alleviating some of his wrist pain. The OT also worked on different types of finger-muscle strengthening exercises and that helped too. When we were hassling with our insurance over payment (which it never did cover), we were offered the option by the OT of not sending ds to weekly sessions, but instead paying for an eval and for a few sessions to put together a program that we could work on at home. This might be something worth investing a small amount of $ in so that you have a path forward but also don't spend a lot of time trying something that isn't going to be worth the effort (which HWOT was, for, us, ultimately not worth the effort at the time because ds first needed the OT).

I also need, for clarity here, to explain that while OT greatly *diminished* ds' wrist pain while writing, it didn't eliminate it (it is still an issue years later) and it also absolutely didn't eliminate the need for AT.

We were also told by our neuropsych to start our ds typing as soon as we'd exhausted whatever was possible in terms of teaching him how to print. I'd step that up honestly and say - start in with keyboarding right away even while you're remediating printing. I also would look into apps for teaching letter formation - our ds was learning how to print before iPads were on the market, so we didn't have the same type of tools available that are out there now.

Re his participation in classes at Northwestern etc - our ds has the same accommodations available to him through talent search classes that he does through school classes. Has your son been diagnosed by a professional? If he has, you should be able to use the report to advocate for (and receive) accommodations such as use of a keyboard or oral response on tests or scribing etc.

I also just want to add as a bit of encouragement - it's not unusual for 2e kids to have their intellectual gifts go unrecognized early on in elementary school, and much of the time it can feel like all of your focus is on remediating or learning how to cope with the second e - but please know, if you focus on understanding and learning how to accommodate for the 2nd e now, opportunities are going to open up in middle school and beyond and your ds will be well prepared for participating in them, thanks to the work you're doing now.

Hang in there!

polarbear

L
    LRS Offline
    L
    Thank you polarbear!

Great suggestions. I really appreciate it.

L
    LRS Offline
    L
    Update:
    I contacted his teacher at CTD at Northwestern and they immediately said tha they will scribe for him as much as needed and other stuff. Amazing. They said, well, of course, lots of gifted kids have issues like that so it's not a problem.
    Blow my mind.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM