Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #1882 01/30/07 06:40 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I did visit a Montessori school that goes up to 8th grade last week. It would be a 30 minute drive for us and VERY expensive, but I'm wondering about it now. He would be allowed to progress at his own rate BUT not "pushed" (as the director put it). So, that has me concerned since most of the time I've found when people use the term "pushed" they have a bias against helping children progress quickly if they are capable.

So, now the questions I'm asking, if we go the private route...

1) Would the Montessori hands-on-style be too difficult for a child whose hands are unreliable?

2) Would all the motor planning be too difficult for him?

3) Would the distractions and child directed work be too distracting for real progress?

4) Is it really too "young" an education style? My impression has always been that Montessori is best for early childhood. Since Mite is so high ability, would it be to "young" for him?

so many questions........

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Will they let you spend a day observing the current students and on another day allow Mite a trial to determine if it�s a good fit?

delbows #1886 01/30/07 09:59 AM
    WG - good for you for thinking outside the box. So much depends on the teacher. With the right guidance, all that motor may be like therapy for Mite. In the wrong hands, he'll feel worse about himself than ever.

I would certianly go visit and get Mite to have a visit. See if the kids are learning baby things. I also didn't explore the Montessori route for two reasons - 1) people who have "a philosophy" about child development are likely to view my child through their filters, and miss him entirely. 2) all that work with manipulatives would have driven him to deep frustration, I think.

Guess what? I think that I was wrong. Each school is unique, and each teacher is unique also. There are some people who follow this philosophy and are well aware of our asynchronous kids and do well with them. Some teachers don't insist on use of the manipulatives with kids who "get it" conceptually, it was only ever meant as a tool. And the multiage classroom, with an enphasis on responsibility for one's work has some advantages for kids who want to go at their own speed.

I think that Programs that go up to 8th grade might in general be less "babyish" than progams that focus only on preschool.

Basically look to see how they feel about kids with special needs, about keyboarding in the classroom, etc. See if the teacher's face sprivels up when you mention his situation. Show her some samples of his handwritten work v. typed work. Watch her face and body language. There should also be a special ed person for you to talk to. Mite has some "on paper" diagnosises - it would be good if they could demonstrate that they know what the implications of this lables are.

I hope this, or something, works out for you...
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1991 02/07/07 07:54 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    SIGH!!! I just heard the Montessori school is losing their building to foreclosure!!!!!!!!!!!!

just when I think there might be an option!!!

Willa Gayle
    G
    G
    Argghhh! NO!

This is not a good news day for boardies, apparently.

Oh no Fite!
    Are they planning to re-organize? Will their best teacher take on Mite and a few others? ((nail biting))
    Trin

Grinity #2010 02/08/07 07:29 PM
    OOPS...

Ania

Ania #2011 02/09/07 05:35 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I have mail a letter asking them what their plans are. I'll let you know what I hear.

Willa Gayle
    Ania #2012 02/09/07 05:39 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I have mailed a letter asking them what their plans are. I'll let you know what I hear.

Willa Gayle
    Oh WG,
    I'm still sad for you.
    Trin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM