Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I found this article emotional immaturity/emotional intensity on the Davidson's website and am posting a link; hope others in similar situations find it helpful. I'm printing it to share with school.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10241.aspx

BTW, that test for our DD's behavioural assessment was the BASC test. It also involved input from her classroom teacher.

Become what you are
    one thing I was wondering about was a comment made by the new principal. He said that once a child is in a pullout class such as math, then she must test and be reported as that grade level. Is that true? This doesn't make any sense to me at all!

I think this is driven by the belief that because the child has been exposed to higher level concepts that it wouldn't be fair to other age peers.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/12/14 03:38 AM.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    are they assessed at that grade just for the subject they are accelerated in or all subjects? It would be a bit unfair to assess them as 4th grade in writing when they only do maths in 4th though I can see it making sense to some of the people in charge.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by slammie
    one thing I was wondering about was a comment made by the new principal. He said that once a child is in a pullout class such as math, then she must test and be reported as that grade level. Is that true? This doesn't make any sense to me at all!

Did the principal say what testing and reporting? (That is, which tests and reporting to whom?) In my limited experience, this was not the case for official testing. DS was moved from 2nd to 4th grade math last year, but he took the 2nd grade STAR test.

S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My husband is the one who had the subsequent brief discussion with him and he said the prinicipal's concern is that when a child is accelerated, the child needs to be reported as that grade level as far as state reporting goes. So if she is accelerated to 3rd grade math next year, she will be tested and reported as a 3rd grader (he didn't clarify if this is all subjects or just math). He indicated that this situation is rather difficult and now I am getting nervous about how her next school year will look like. I try to meet with the principal in early May to iron details out but I haven't been asked to obtain achievement test results so I'm not sure how they will determine where she will be accelerated. All we have at this point are some year end test that were done at her current school, mostly in language arts.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by slammie
    the prinicipal's concern is that when a child is accelerated, the child needs to be reported as that grade level as far as state reporting goes.

I would double-check with the principal to be sure your husband understood correctly - it's possible that may happen (or may be your principal's understanding of what needs to be done), but it doesn't happen in our school district for subject acceleration - students still take the grade level state tests for the grade they are enrolled in.

If your dd does have to take the state tests in the upper level grade for the subject she's accelerated into, I wouldn't worry about it at all - she'll be fine. State tests almost universally seem to only test for grade-level curriculum benchmarks, and at least here, they don't really carry a lot of weight... and the weight they do carry can most likely be easily advocated around if you ran into a situation where your dd didn't do well and it's due to the grade level issue.

polarbear

C
    C
    Ditto to double checking, but if it is simply a standardized test, I really don't see what the big deal is... even in other subjects. She would probably do just fine! And if it is only for math, that should be the way it is, anyway, imo. I think my DS is taking the accelerated math state tests, based on comments from that teacher.

S
    slammie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks Polarbear, ConnecingDots. yes will double check during our next meeting. Sorry, I wasn't clear; The testing problem was mentioned to DH as a potential hurdle to subject acceleration and so I am getting a bit concerned that Principal is starting to sound nervous and unclear with no concrete plan. I really do not like coming across as a pushy parent but I think I am going to have to be detailed and clear on what we would like to see for next year rather than just nodding my head and being unhappy when we get home!

B
    B
    I think that my depends on the state. Does Common Core change this? My son was in a class that accelerated math by a year starting in 4th, but it wasn't until they were taking 'Pre-Algebra' in 6th that they took a different standardized state test than the rest of their peers. The schools don't mind since their grades were on average a lot higher than those who took the same class at the "regular time". Usually these test are a lower bound and a kid who is looking at grade skip would probably find they easy anyway.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM