Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Is anyone out there using a teacher for homeschooling? We're thinking we may use a teacher for some of our homeschooling. Any idea of the cost? I've seen other posts on the cost of tutors, but they tend to be high school and college students. As always, your help is appreciated.

btw, for those of you who followed our drama (or was it trauma?) this is DS7 before homeschooling: mad and after: cool

I've never hired anyone to do this but I used to tutor kids in math when I was in college. Mostly the children of professors I knew. I think sometimes kids respond better to an adult other than their parents. Sometimes kids look up to young adults and will work hard to impress them.

I used to charge by the hour. I'm sure my rates would be meaningless now since that was 20 yrs. ago.

Do you mean like a public school teacher, but after school hours?

You might check places like Kumon or foreign language places like Baby Lingua to find what they pay their teachers. They probably won't tell you directly, but one of the job-seeking websites like Monster.com could probably tell you what you need to know.

And congrats on finding a good school fit! YAY!!!!!
    grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh, and BTW...Is it wrong of me to feel driven to say "I told you so!" at this point? (Yes, it's probably wrong...)

wink Ah, but seriously, you know I love you and I'm THRILLED for you that it's working out, Questions! I'm so glad that you and your DS will both have a happier year this year! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Kriston
    Just wanted to say that I am glad DS is happy. May be your local hs group could give you an idea how much to pay.

LMom
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks LMom and thank you, Kriston. You were definitely right. I just needed to be brave enough to take the plunge.

And thanks for the idea of checking out the job websites. Did you know that Sylvan only pays about $12 or $13 an hour? School teachers around here seem to charge about $80/hr.for tutoring.

I'll ask our local HS group, but I'm not aware of anyone using a teacher. But once again, good advice.

Thanks again!

It's all good. cool

I just always worried that I was pushing you to homeschool in our PMs, and I did NOT want to do that! I tried to be as neutral as I could possibly be because I honestly do not believe that HSing is the right solution for everyone...

...but even so, I couldn't *help* but feel like it would probably be a very good solution to many of your problems with your DS! I'm just glad to hear that if I was perhaps a wee bit more *ahem* assertive *ahem* about my opinion with you than I like to be when it comes to HSing, that at least it all turned out well for your family in the end. That's a very, very good thing! laugh

Really, I'm doing a little happy dance for you in front of my computer! Can you see me? grin

Kriston
    Our homeschool group passes on mentions of people offering relevant services, Dottie, so you might check with a group near you and see if they'll mention you. I've found babysitters, foreign language and art classes, testing services, used books for sale and other such good stuff in our weekly homeschool group e-mail message. They usually just pass on a one-paragraph blurb detailing the service offered, the person's qualifications, costs, location, and any other pertinent info.

It's worth a try! smile

Kriston
    K
    K
    I know a teacher who also tutors. She charges $30 per hour. I'm sure you'd pay more in big cities or less in rural areas. She only works with elementary aged kids.

P.S. It's usually a homeschooler who suggests the posting be made, so they don't just take random ads. However, offers of tutoring are not exactly in the same class as other ads, I don't think. Anyway, the worst they can say is no, right?

Kriston
    Kriston is right, Dottie. If you know any homeschoolers see if they would help you to get the info out. If not contact the hs group coordinator and see if she would post your info in a newsletter or on the mailing list. I just helped a friend of mine to get her ad into our newsletter. You may also try to offer group classes and see if people are interested.

Good luck

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM