Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #176631 12/06/13 10:48 AM
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    The latest issue is focused on creativity, there are some great sources referenced relating to genius, creativity, and play. Also some findings mentioned that were surprising (boys who rough-house more when younger were measured later in life as having more flexible social skills.)

A couple of the concepts were very interesting when I considered them in terms of gifted misdiagnosis:
    Cognitive inhibition and cognitive flexibility, and the idea that high levels of creative achievement may be strongly related to having solid skills in manipulating these.

There have been a number of studies in recent years indicating the numerous benefits of rough play. Here's the short version.

Of course that's not why I played rough with DD. I did it to hear her scream a joyous, "AGAIN!!"

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    A couple of the concepts were very interesting when I considered them in terms of gifted misdiagnosis:
    Cognitive inhibition and cognitive flexibility, and the idea that high levels of creative achievement may be strongly related to having solid skills in manipulating these.
    Could you please explain this more?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    There have been a number of studies in recent years indicating the numerous benefits of rough play. Here's the short version.
    Interesting. Good summary at the link. Is the book recommended there ("The Art of Roughhousing") worth reading, in addition to the summary?

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Originally Posted by arlen1
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Could you please explain this more?

Roughly through my lens: Cognitive inhibition is the mind's ability to filter out excessive information such as minute details to create an approximate view of the world (tree is a circle with a stick.) This keeps people on task and undistracted, and helps avoid the mental bunny trials.

Creativity, particularly at the idea generation works from unexpected connections, skipping past assumptions, etc. Or following the bunny trails.

Cognitive flexibility is changing of mental states and adapting to new scenarios or modes of thought.

Productive creativty needs the uninhibited cognition to be flexibly available on demand, but then needs to be pulled back when it is time to select a solution/idea and further altered to implement/follow through.

Some gifted kids may have low cognitive inhibition and are ideally following a path to learning the flexibity and inhibition. This demonstrates as creative, easily distracted, aware of a crazy amount of details (and remembers many of them,) their unconstrained thinking can easily develop new strategies for problem solving, learn deeply through discovered connections, etc. All in a package that reads uninhibited and distracted.

From there my thinking is they are likely to be misdiagnosed with all sorts of things when they are beginning the path of learning to flexibly manage their inhibitions. Done right you get a intelligent, creative, flexible problem solver in the end. I think you can nurture that transformation, but you can't force it.

(Portia, pm returned)

Originally Posted by arlen1
    Interesting. Good summary at the link. Is the book recommended there ("The Art of Roughhousing") worth reading, in addition to the summary?

Couldn't tell you. I haven't read it.

P
    P
    I think the problem is increased adult supervision. I'm sure we didn't wrestle or attempt stupid physical things in front of our parents.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Of course that's not why I played rough with DD. I did it to hear her scream a joyous, "AGAIN!!"

LOL smile smile When I read that, I heard my DS's voice ringing in my head during rough play with his Dad smile

M
    M
    I highly doubt that the roughhousing/social flexibility connection is a cause/effect relationship. I'd be more inclined to interpret that data as the personality which at a young age leans toward roughhousing, also inclines an older person toward social flexibility. My surmising is based on anecdotal evidence, however.

For example, our son (now 14) liked to roughhouse as a young boy, but not even close to the level of the neighbor boys' enjoyment of roughhousing (they were the same age). He would stand back and watch, would dart in-and-out quickly, but would not engage in the activity nearly as much. It wasn't because his parents didn't roughhouse with him (we did), nor was it because he is an only child (some of the other boys he watched were only children). He just didn't like it as much. Now, if you look at him compared with those same neighbor boys, they are far more socially flexible than he is. The boy in the neighborhood who was even less inclined to roughhousing is even less socially flexible.

I take that to be a personality issue that causes both effects, not that roughhousing causes social flexibility. If that makes sense.

MamaChicks
    DS14, grades 8-12+

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM