Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Dottie #18769 07/01/08 12:40 PM
    Oooh! 10 spankings! I had no idea I was buddied up to such a rebel! wink

I was such a perfectionist that I'd have died of shame if I'd been spanked even once, I think. One of my worst memories of school was once having to eat lunch standing at the freezer because I talked when the lights were out. Oh, the trauma!!!

So how did you get the balloons to blow up? That seems like a weird thing for you to have access to if you weren't allowed to blow them up--???

Kriston
    Dottie #18771 07/01/08 12:45 PM
    LOL!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I know! I must know all your moms too well now! grin

But getting in trouble in K for singing in the bathroom? How can you not love that?!? laugh

I like it too. But she was paddled for it in front of the class. It was very humiliating. Her mom just wanted her to behave and not make waves. She snuck her into school early because she was a single mom who worked all day and she couldn't afford daycare. My mom suffered a lot of abuse growing up from sitters and from her own mom.

Oh, I'm sorry about all that. frown

Kriston

Kriston, she is an amazingly resilient person. She is ok despite all she went through.

We're all sort of posting willy-nilly! Lots of overlap today.

That's the best way, I think, though it can lead to some confusing threads if we're not careful.

Still, great fun reading it all! smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Cathy A

Kriston, she is an amazingly resilient person. She is ok despite all she went through.

Of course she is! I mean, duh! She sings in the bathroom! Ergo ipso facto and all that... wink

You see, I may have weird crushes, but I choose them quite wisely. grin

Kriston
    Dottie #18783 07/01/08 12:53 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Ooops, posted that before Cathy's post. I meant no disrespect! My paddles at least were in the solitary comfort of the hall, frown .

Nevermind, Dottie. It's kind of a funny story about the birth certificate. My mom was born on the first of the month. The first birth certificate her mom was given had the wrong birthdate written on it. It was listed as the first of the previous month--probably because everyone had a month to get used to writing that.

Anyway, she got a corrected birth certificate but kept the wrong one. When it came time for my mom to go to school, it happened that her birthday was just after the cutoff. Then her mom remembered the incorrect birth certificate. So the one she gave the school was absolutely genuine. Just had the wrong birthdate on it.

R
    R
    I'm completely new to this site and looking for some suggestions/support, etc. We have a five year old daughter who is definitely advanced and possibly gifted. She fits many of the descriptions listed on this site to a "t." Her Kindergarten teacher suggested we wait a few years and then have her officially tested once she's older.

Our issues are less about her intellectual capacity and more about her emotional issues. She's intense, highly sensitive, anxious, resists change, etc. and it's causing problems with her socially and within the family.

She's obviously very young, but I'd like to know if any of you have followed a plan of action that helped you with some of the issues we have above.

I'd appreciate any insight!

Thanks!

Dottie #18807 07/01/08 04:29 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I must be better at it Kriston, you were only lagging by 40 posts this morning.......(((ducking and running)))

(Feel free to take that on as a personal challenge!)

LOL! When I'm on this website, DS7 is frequently standing over my shoulder. He could care less about the actual posts though. He often comments on the number of posts you two have however. He is very impressed! wink

He thinks I'm a slacker though. I think I just generally feel less qualified to answer posts. I'm on here reading plenty!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM