Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Does your school have an Honor Roll at the Elementary level? TIA

RCM

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    Nothing like that here, sounds interesting, though.

RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We were thinking of a way to reward kids for doing well. Don't know if we could do it for only SNAP. That would be seen as elitist and it could open up other issues but we thought for the kids giving the gift to the school of Level 4 ELA, Math ... scores. They should get =something= for it. Even if only being able to eat their lunch in the courtyard weekly instead of in the zoo-ish cafeteria. It has to be something that doesn't cost the school anything...

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    At our school the kids wear uniforms, so a reward usually involves free dress day.

Other favorites:
    lunch with a teacher
    ice cream social
    pizza parties

I don't think we have honor roll at the 2-5 school. It starts in Middle school I think. The Catholic school has Honor roll starting in K. I saw the lists in the newspaper.

Our school has an honor roll for 4-6th grade. There is an assembly where the kids get recognition. Their names are printed in the newsletter and the parents get a bumper sticker.

My DS K-4 elementary school has a monthly awards ceremony for the kids. There are three awards per teacher (one is for citizenship, one for academic, and one for all around doing well in class). There is a party a week or so later for the all around class winners with snacks and a craft. All award winners get a certificate and a free kids meal at Friendlys or other restaurant.

L
    L
    Our public school has two honor rolls--the principal's honor roll and the superintendent's honor roll. The names of all the kids who are on the honor roll are listed in our local paper. I have noticed that there are usually only 2 or 3 kids out of each class who are not listed as being on one of these honor rolls. Parents think their kids must be doing really well at school because they are on the honor roll, but I know some older kids that were on the honor roll at this school that needed remedial classes when they went to college.

We have honor roll for all A's and B's and Principal's list for all A's. Our local Kohl's donates unsold stuffed animals and books that are given as prizes at the awards ceremony at the end of every grading period. If you have a Kohl's near you, you should check with them about donations as they want to help school systems out. They've done lots of other things for our school as well! smile

I just remembered that at my GT junior high/high school we had an open campus. There was an arcade nearby where we could get tokens for good grades. 1 token per B, 2 tokens per A smile I spent many happy lunch hours in there...anybody remember Robotron?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM