Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Since my last visit
    1) had many issues the week of the time change. Had two visits to the principal that week.
    2) took ds to the doctor. Discovered iron deficiency and are now supplementing. Dr refused med increase after discussing problem behaviors at school. Ds pulled quite a stunt and the doctor said that ds is "smart and manipulative which can't be medicated". We were talking about shuffling cards and playing go fish and the doctor suggested ds start to learn black jack and become a professional poker player because he could count cards and make a lot of money...
    3) we will write 504 after the first month of first grade. Counselor believes ds needs a challenge and says he is like Shledon Cooper from Big Bang Theory. Teacher and counselor feel he is too smart for his own good.
    4) AM is going great. After lunch and recess everything gets bad. Ds eats very little lunch. He is irritating certain kids until they break which he finds funny. He is doing attention seeking behaviors. When ds is at home a nap helps these behaviors, but he also eats when hungry.
    5) handwriting has drastically improved with teacher offering rewards and prism lenses. I'm in shock that he can form the letters now if he is willing.

So the problem behaviors - boredom? Hunger causing issues? Very possibly overstimulation by afternoon? Any thoughts? FWIW he knows all the reading/spelling objectives for the quarter. (He was reading this quarters sight words in 1st quarter). He knows the math objectives also, but isn't ahead on the addition/subtraction that he is bored. He gets to go to another class for math where the teachers team reach to work with the kids his speed.

C
    C
    Iron deficiency could cause some behaviors- the fatigue and mental fog could lead to poor judgement. It can take awhile for the supplements to do the work. My mother had an iron deficiency and she said she was exhausted and wasn't operating on 4 cylinders. It took a few months on iron supplements for her to feel better.

E
    E
    My oldest is an incredibly picky, slow eater who can't sit still... as a result with have experienced iron deficiency more than once. Do you know what his iron stores are? It's the stored iron that is really important! Depending on the number it can be 6 months before he is where he should be. How is it being treated?

Iron deficiency can have a HUGE impact on behaviour and how engaged he is overall.

We have been at a number of schools, all of which insured that small children eat their lunch... is that not happening at your school? My oldest even given a drink box of cold white/plain milk towards the end of day to keep him going (age 5 isn)... he would often lose it at the end of day without that snack.

Hope that helps!

P
    P
    I don't know your situation. Is him coming home for lunch or finishing at lunchtime an option - even short term?

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    They try to get the kids to eat by telling them to not talk. But there isn't much oversight. They aren't allowed to get up to throw away their trash if they bring lunch. So if they don't call him out he brings his trash and old food home everyday. Today we are sending snacks.

His iron level was 23 and it needs to be at 50. We are treating with a liquid supplement. Is causing constipation which we also have to add another supplement. He now has accidents in his pants sometimes at home.

I put a call in to the doctor hopefully he calls within a day or two.

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Also they get maybe 20 minutes for lunch maybe 25 at most. He says he often isn't hungry. I have to hound him to eat at breakfast. That medicine seems to be as much a problem as a help.

N
    N
    If you can find a timed-release iron for kids, that could help with the constipation -- iron does that to me too, whenever my anemia flares up, but the timed-release helps because you don't get that one big whack all at once.

I have a terrible time with DS11 not eating his lunch. He continually says that he didn't have time, but I haven't found a solution. There *should* be time, with their schedule, but god knows what the kid is doing instead of eating.

P
    P
    Is there anyway you can have an adult at lunch encourage your ds to finish his lunch? Or perhaps you could visit during lunch for a few days and make sure he eats?

I'd give that a try just to see if it helps.

polarbear

ps - I'd also ask the school why wait until after the first month of first grade to write the 504. I totally understand a ton of reasons for that from the school's perspective - give him time in the classroom for the teacher to observe... put it off until the rush of school starting is over... other stuff. The thing is, I think you'd be off to a better start if you requested a 504 meeting *now* and get something in place for this year. Our experience with that whole "after the start of school" situation is that the start-of-the-year busy rush never really ends, instead the teachers are going to be finding other students to send in for testing/referrals etc so the wait can actually end up stretching out... or you might find your ds with a wonderful teacher who accommodates without having to think - which is great for first grade, but then you're left without a 504 and what happens when 2nd grade hits hard (if that happens) etc. JMO, but if a child needs a 504 plan, they need it now, not 6 months from now smile

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    We have had the 504 meeting and that is why the counselor is looking for the right teacher. We don't really know what to put in the 504. He doesn't need educational or testing accommodations. The counselor feels the teachers at the new building will be willing to do what helps him best.

His main issues are irritating people and attention seeking behaviors. Dr is thinking a med increase? So why would a 12 hour time release med wear off at lunch? It would only be lasting, 5 hours? Doesn't make sense. That's why I wonder if its overstimulation/tired/hungry and boredom.

I mention a flipped classroom at the 504 meeting but they had never heard of it. They may allow extra time in the art room as a reward. They need a science lab as a reward. Lol.

P
    P
    I didn't realize you'd already had a 504 meeting. Did the team have any thoughts re observing behavior during lunch, thinking through possible issues that might be causing the change that occurs after lunch? It seems like something that someone could collect some observational data on smile I agree - it doesn't seem that a 12-hour med should be wearing off after 5 hours... and if that really is what's happening, I'd be a little wary of simply upping the dose... maybe trying a different med... but I'd also want to try other interventions first.

I think afternoons are tough in early elementary for a lot of kids - after being in school all morning, they rush through lunch (or at least it's a rush here - very little time to eat), then recess, which is exciting and fun and then bam - after all that activity, time to go back and sit down in class.

Have you thought about taking him out after the morning session for a week or so, feeding him lunch at home, and seeing how his afternoons go? Maybe have art and science lab at home smile

My experience with rewards at that age wasn't all that productive - they work well for situations our kids have control in, but sometimes the behaviors etc are a reaction to feeling out of control, and if that's the case - having a reward for avoiding the behavior may just add to frustration and not accomplish anything.

Just a few rambling thoughts - I hope you find something that works for your ds.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM