Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 33 of 36 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It's probably true-- but--

has anyone else noticed that as Testing-Frenzy (tm) has taken hold in K through 12, college is rapidly becoming the new high school?

Nope.

C
    C
    Interesting article about free tuition in one town -

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...american-cities-105366.html#.Uz7LBd9xnv5

W
    W
    Reading through, if your child has potential, you are giving them options. If your child doesn't succeed in world terms, then they didn't have potential and you are a horrid parent for pushing them?

Lang Lang told the story of how his father walked with him at a year old and would draw notes in the sand with a stick to start teaching him music. And also how he almost quit in his teens because it is the teens and hormones come into play but his father pushed. He is now Lang Lang the world famous musician and many debate his natural talent and style compared to others. But even though he was pushed along the path, he is very grateful for the outcome and glad he is not just the average person out there.

Hard to provide the right options for your kid. I want my kid to be happy and we laugh a lot together, there is joy and fun in her life but there is a structure also so that she can take advantage and create options in her. So I expect her to learn Mandarin and do advanced math online, I have broken in a dance routine with her on a subway platform, where some musician was playing. We got a lot of applause, though no money. There is fun, despite how this forum views me as this retched Tiger mom.

Wren, I don't think that anyone sees other parents who post here in that light. smile

My daughter, too, is provided with a great deal of structure...

but she is also not particularly STRESSED by her life. Some of her peers and agemates, this is clearly not the case.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by chay
    Interesting article about free tuition in one town -

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...american-cities-105366.html#.Uz7LBd9xnv5
    Thank you for sharing this interesting and thought-provoking article. Kudos to the local home-grown billionaires who came forward and voluntarily funded this program. I especially liked the photo showing the banner in the hall which read "What do Colleges expect from you?"

It appears the Kalamazoo Promise is bringing out the best in individuals... from donors to students!

Originally Posted by Wren
    Hard to provide the right options for your kid. I want my kid to be happy and we laugh a lot together, there is joy and fun in her life but there is a structure also so that she can take advantage and create options in her. So I expect her to learn Mandarin and do advanced math online, I have broken in a dance routine with her on a subway platform, where some musician was playing. We got a lot of applause, though no money. There is fun, despite how this forum views me as this retched Tiger mom.

I suppose the question is whether the goal is "option creation."

The other question would be "Mandarin?", but I'm not getting into that discussion here.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Reading through, if your child has potential, you are giving them options. If your child doesn't succeed in world terms, then they didn't have potential and you are a horrid parent for pushing them?

Lang Lang told the story of how his father walked with him at a year old and would draw notes in the sand with a stick to start teaching him music. And also how he almost quit in his teens because it is the teens and hormones come into play but his father pushed. He is now Lang Lang the world famous musician and many debate his natural talent and style compared to others. But even though he was pushed along the path, he is very grateful for the outcome and glad he is not just the average person out there.
    Lang Lang is a very forgiving man and/or someone blessed with the ability to forget bad experiences. From a review of the autobiography "Journey of a Thousand Miles":

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB121642167150766573
    A Prodigy's Progress
    By JAMES PENROSE
    July 19, 2008
    Wall Street Journal

Lang Lang's mother was for many years the primary support of the family and was separated from father and son for long periods. Yet if Lang Lang tried to spend any time talking with her when they were home -- talking, that is, instead of practicing -- his father responded with the most appalling outbursts. When Lang Lang studied at Curtis, his father modified his behavior at home only to the extent of throwing shoes at the boy's head for committing finger faults. The pianist uses words like "stupid," "lazy," "ruin," "fool" and "idiot" to recount his father's various encouragements and "punish," "yell" and "scream" to describe the way in which they were delivered.

W
    W
    Having experienced some mothers at the Special Music School, who are obsessed with creating a Lang Lang, I think he was just a male version of what I see is somewhat common in that venue.

And I was confused because they told me dd had this talent and we were preparing for that concert when she was 7, I didn't call her names, but I crossed the line. I had to step back. And didn't Amy Chua talk about this when she was at the piano with her younger daughter trying to get her to play a piece her older sister had played at the same age? She yelled, called names, hit her hands.

It is horrible but getting from prodigy with potential to international concert tour at 14 requires a horrid parent, in my opinion, having skimmed that world and still have contact with one mother training her violin playing daughter. She has admitted that the kid doesn't have enough to be a star, but she will makes the kid practice 2-3 hours school days, at least 4 hours weekend days. And I assure you the practices are not "please, again".

B
    B
    This long article is not easy to summarize, but it makes the important point that student loans are not "aid" in the way grants are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/e...know-about-financial-aid-but-should.html
    What You Don’t Know About Financial Aid (but Should)
    By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    New York Times
    APRIL 9, 2014

O
    O
    Once again, there is no such thing as free tuition or free education, only free education or tuition to someONE, it's still costs others. Let's use the phrase, "Publicly funded education" instead as it's far more accurate.

Perhaps I'm being too picky on the wording, however, there seems to be a lot of word play designed to promote agendas in the last decade or so and personally, I like to see wording used that accurately reflects the scenario presented.

Page 33 of 36 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM