Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    L
    laurel
    Unregistered
    laurel
    Unregistered
    L
    Eides are the first choice.

GDC is excellent with PG, but some of those who go there do go to the Eides afterword if the 2e is complex or requires attention to figuring out specifics or what to do.

I sent you a PM.

Good luck.

E
    E
    People who keep recommending the Eides, they are not taking new patients. It is pointless and rather cruel to keep telling us how wonderful they are when we cannot see them.

D
    D
    Pemberley, I've PMed you.

M
    M
    Pemberly is it worth contacting the Eides in writing with a brief summary (previous test scores perhaps) and ask if they would put you on their list. The fact that you KNOW you have a highly complex issue for which there are few other good options might make them inclined to help or at least point you in the right direction elsewhere. I once had the opportunity to speak to Tony Attwood (girls and aspergers expert) for just 2 mins about our DD and he very kindly pointed us at the right person to finally make some sense of everything.

Also, I would totally contact Amy Yermish.

F
    F
    Summit Center Dan Peters- fantastic they get it and the tester was engaging and skillful with working from a strengths base and reestablishing success after the tests that were testing the e part of the 2e! Highly recommend!

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I finally bit the bullet and emailed the Eides. Got an immediate response from him. They remain closed to new families so they can concentrate on non profit work. frown He pointed me to The Center for Exceptional Learners in Connecticut. Website looks interesting. Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.ccfel.com/about-us/professional-staff/

Q
    Q
    Perhaps look into Kennedy Krieger/Johns Hopkins Hospital/JHU-CTY in Maryland? These are separate but inter-related organizations. It is also possible if your DD's profile is "interesting" enough to a particular doctor and his current research that they will make a place for your DD ahead of other patients/clients.

C
    C
    I highly recommend Dr. Melanie Crawford in Reno, if you will be out west for any reason. She came recommended from our YS consultant and was worth every minute we spent with her. She was also the only person to take the OT eval and the PT eval from our doctor! as well as previous DYS qualifying tests and compare it to new data and come to Developmental a Coordination Disorder. It fit perfectly and was a big "duh!" Moment but we needed that!

If you won't be out west, I recommend Belin Blank. We had a phone consult with Dr. Foley-Nipon (I might have that wrong) and she was amazing on the phone and led is to Dr. Crawford and recommended we not travel to Iowa just for an evaluation. That takes a lot of professionalism in my book!

S
    S
    Hi Pemberley! I just PMed you about my experiences with a few of the people you mentioned. Hope it helps!

A
    A
    Bumping this up because it's a lot of what I was looking for...

Has anyone used the alternate testers recommended by the Eides on their website:
    Dr. Liz Smith of Kinderminds (Bellevue, WA)
    Dr. Dan Peters of Summit Centers (San Francisco)

It's frustrating that the Eides are still not taking patients, especially since we're local to them so an eval wouldn't even require traveling.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM