Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 225 of 268 1 2 223 224 225 226 227 267 268
    K
    K
    DD4 decided instead of getting presents for her 4th birthday, that she wanted to help "kitties and puppies without homes", so she got all of her friends to donate to the local Humane Society instead of giving gifts. We raised $50 cash, over 100 cans of cat & dog food, 50 pounds of litter, 40 lbs of dry food and bags of toys and other items & she got to bring all the "presents" to the shelter on her birthday. They even took her picture for their website - I still can't believe it was all her idea. I'm such a proud mom! smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by KellyA
    DD4 decided instead of getting presents for her 4th birthday, that she wanted to help "kitties and puppies without homes", so she got all of her friends to donate to the local Humane Society instead of giving gifts. We raised $50 cash, over 100 cans of cat & dog food, 50 pounds of litter, 40 lbs of dry food and bags of toys and other items & she got to bring all the "presents" to the shelter on her birthday. They even took her picture for their website - I still can't believe it was all her idea. I'm such a proud mom! smile

You should be proud that is awesome!!!

M
    M
    dd3 calls me over to show me her plate of uneaten macaroni.
    DD: look mummy that's where we live
    me: what
    DD: look heres Christchurch and this is where we live

Upon close inspection I see that she has shaped her food into a map of the upper south island including banks peninsula so she could find chch on it. My inner geography geek is stoked!

O
    O
    Eldest DS was just awarded a summer physics fellowship to do research with the dean of the physics dept. Nice first step toward building an application for graduate school should he choose to do so....it'll also keep him out of my refrig. this summer (smirk)

I've just begun looking at what a graduate degree application involves last night, interesting. It was also interesting when I found that our home state only graduates just under 100 under graduate physics degrees a year, I had no idea it was that low.

Congratulations, Old Dad! Is your DS excited? (I presume so, but you never know...)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Congratulations, Old Dad! Is your DS excited? (I presume so, but you never know...)

I'm not really sure he understands sometimes the value of the opportunities that are presented him, though he seldom fails to take advantage of them. You know how it is, often it's not until years later when we realize the weight of certain events in our lives. I think he understands though that it's unusual to get to do physics research as an undergrad and that it's an important experience for the future.

Honestly I think he's more excited about sub-leasing an apt. rather than living in a dorm and the adventure of cooking for himself on a regular basis for the first time. It's going to be interesting to see how much weight he loses!

This brings up an interesting topic for another thread, I think sometimes our GT kids can get a little numb to the unique opportunities presented them, sometimes they have to be reminded just how blessed they are and be reminded to share their blessings by helping others.

Last edited by Old Dad; 04/01/14 01:56 PM.
    Yes, I agree-- it's why I asked. DD seemed totally unfazed that the dean of the Honors College was treating her 14yo self with deference and knew her by name... was introducing her to the NAS-member dean of undergraduate research, etc. etc. at the preview/open house last month. She doesn't see how remarkable it is, because people have always sort of 'noticed' her like that. The only thing she really notices is that sometimes her peers seem unreasonably resentful or jealous of her, and she can't figure it out because she didn't "do anything to them."

So yeah, I can see her going "Oh, yeah-- that'll be cool. I guess." I know she'd love it while she was doing it, and all, but 'excitement' might be overstating things at the outset, YK?

LOL about the apartment sublease. grin Kids!!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Awesome OldDad! Congratulations to your DS!

HK, your DD sounds extraordinary - she deserves to be noticed!

M
    M
    Ds 3 has recently figured out spelling. He's been able to spell things like his name, Mommy, Daddy, and brother's name. But this weekend, he spelled "jump", "cape", "hold", etc.

(not a huge brag, but he was so against letters at all. We were excited that he is starting to break the code. He is not reading yet. I am not "trying" to teach him, nor would he respond positively to me trying. I guess we just keep wondering what's going on in his head that functions sooo differently than ds7. It's always fun watching them understand something! )

Z
    Z
    DS8 upped his math MAP score for this year 13 points which puts him at 99% for a sixth grader or around 80% for an 11th grader. It's nice that school doesn't get in the way of his learning.

Page 225 of 268 1 2 223 224 225 226 227 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM