Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 19 of 102 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    aquinas, my DS (easily) learned to play chess at 3, so...you could at least try! There's that No-Stress Chess variant, too. My DS would not have had the communication abilities at 2, but obviously, YMMV!

(Looking back, I'm now like, wait, he was 3? That's weird. It didn't seem weird at the time. I don't know. We didn't even teach him. DD did.)

Thanks for the tips, ultramarina! I see your DS is getting quite proficient himself. smile

I figure we can introduce the pieces and their range of movement. If he likes it, great. If not, we can revisit it if/when he shows interest again. I honestly doubt he'll grasp the strategy yet, but I figure there's no harm in indulging him.

My Dad tried to teach me when I was 3, but I kept confusing "check" with "cheque". I thought there was a financial prize when I put someone in check and quickly lost interest when I learned that wasn't the case. And so my chess career ended at a tender age. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    U
    If he shows an interest in games generally, aquinas, there are a ton of really great ones now for kids....no need to play Candyland with these guys, thank goodness.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Portia
    ... when DC6 decides to "build" a pretend hotel with restaurant. He makes a list of all the imaginary supplies he needs, then asks for a field trip to the local hardware store so he can calculate his "REAL" costs (seriously, how many boards, nails, buckets of paint/stain, saws, flooring, etc.)

I can see the guy at the hardware store -- "Aren't you a bit young to be building a hotel?"

"Yes, yes I am." smile

M
    M
    So it's not just me. My first moment was when she was about 13 months and I told her that my rules for nursing is that she has to fit on my lap. Once she no longer fits, she'd have to quit. She noticed that her feet were indeed sticking out of my lap so she crossed her legs. I was so confused and when she realized that I was confused, she had this triumphant smile.

It's not that I never expected young toddlers to be able to solve simple problems but it's was her cheekiness beyond her years that threw me off. I should have known what was to come after that day but I stayed in denial for many more months. Maybe I still am in denial.

C
    C
    when your 9 month old has been learning sign language because it is easier for her to communicate basic needs that way. But when you tell her "no" for something and use the sign for it she grabs your hand so you can't say no anymore.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    S
    S
    ...your 3 year old tells you the "real truth" about why he is naughty.

My son and I were snuggling one night after a particularly hard week with his behavior. (Due to our work, we frequently have visitors in our home.) Out of the blue, he told me, "Now I'm going to tell you the real truth. Sometimes I'm naughty because everyone pays attention to you (DH and I) and not to me." I asked him what we could we do. DS replied, "Have them talk to me." pause "Now I'm going to tell you the really real truth, I want everyone to look at me, smiling, laughing, and paying attention to me." After he told me this, I began to direct some visitor attention to him. Problem solved.

Another day, "The real truth is: I'm naughty because I want to do everything I want to do."

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Somerdai
    "The real truth is: I'm naughty because I want to do everything I want to do."

Oh yes. Though this often takes the form of whining: "but I just waaant to do all the things I'm not allowed to do".

or even better, the logical question: "but how can I do the things I'm not allowed to do?" ...uh...you can't. that's the point, kid. lol.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    aquinas, my DS (easily) learned to play chess at 3, so...you could at least try! There's that No-Stress Chess variant, too. My DS would not have had the communication abilities at 2, but obviously, YMMV!

(Looking back, I'm now like, wait, he was 3? That's weird. It didn't seem weird at the time. I don't know. We didn't even teach him. DD did.)

My oldest son learned how to play before his fourth birthday.

Here is an anecdote about one of the most talented and famous chess players in history, Capablanca:

http://www.supreme-chess.com/famous-chess-players/jose-capablanca.html
    Referred to by many chess historians as the Mozart of chess, Capablanca was a chess prodigy whose brilliance was noted at an early age. According to Capablanca, he learned the rules of the game at the age of four by watching his father play. He said he noticed his father make an illegal move with his knight, accused him of cheating, and then demonstrated what he had done. It may be unlikely that he learned all the subtleties of en passant pawn capture, castling rules, and underpromotion by observation alone, since some of the positions which demonstrate the rules are uncommon. Capablanca was taken to the Havana Chess Club when he was five, where the leading players found it impossible to beat the young boy when giving him the handicap of a queen.

Originally Posted by Marnie
    Originally Posted by Somerdai
    "The real truth is: I'm naughty because I want to do everything I want to do."

Oh yes. Though this often takes the form of whining: "but I just waaant to do all the things I'm not allowed to do".

or even better, the logical question: "but how can I do the things I'm not allowed to do?" ...uh...you can't. that's the point, kid. lol.

grin Love it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks Bostonian.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 19 of 102 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM