Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all, I am interested in your thoughts on a decision we have to make.

My 7 year old 2nd grader was identified as HG, and as such, was placed into the pull out GATE program as a 2nd grader. In our district, GATE is a pull out class for one hour a day. All the other kids are 3rd graders in his group. He loves GATE, although he has struggled a bit with his fine motor skills, which are below grade level. Luckily for him, there has not been a lot of writing in his GATE class, but they do projects like build a space station as a group. He has a hard time meeting the standards of his group in a craft situation like that. Also, he is a little immature socially... although I think the 3rd graders have been a good influence on him in this arena. He has grown up a bit this school year.

The GATE teacher told us that he can move up with the current group for the next school year and be a 3rd grader with 4th graders. The other option is to go with the 3rd graders next year.

The benefit to moving up with the older kids is that he likes these kids quite a bit. Also, he feels special being with them and he kind of needs that because he feels misunderstood much of the time. The downside is that he would go to GATE at a different time than the other 3rd graders. The 3rd grade schedule is designed to have GATE occur during a regular classroom activity that is ok to miss. If he goes at a different time, he could end up missing math every day. It would be harder on his teacher, and that's a negative.

The benefit to going with his age mates is that he would get to know more of the gifted kids his age. There are a lot of kids that I think he would really like. He hasn't had the chance to get to know them because they haven't been in the same class. The negative to going with his grade is that he would miss his older friends. I don't know how big a deal this is, they are not close friends who come over after school, etc. He would miss his special status as the young one in GATE, which he enjoys.

I'm leaning towards going with his classmates next year. Any thoughts on this choice? Thank you!

If the major obstacle is the classroom schedule, then I don't see any reason to hold him back. Class schedules at that grade level should be pretty flexible. We've run into scheduling conflicts for my DD with her GT pullouts (two per day, and much longer than an hour), and once I've reported them to the proper authorities, adjustments were made.

That leaves the social concerns. What does your DS say about these?

J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Dude, my son wants to go with the older kids. I think this is mainly because he enjoys being the young one in the group. It makes him feel special. GATE in our district is not accelerated school curriculum. That's actually part of the reason my son loves it. This year, they have studied ancient Egypt, space, and CSI. It's made a huge difference... high interest material for him. My son does not like school, except for GATE. He has a wonderful classroom teacher who really understands him. I think she's the best teacher in our school. He did not get a single A on his report card this year, although he is reading at a 5th grade level, he doesn't want to bow to "the man" (my interpretation).

Since you haven't mentioned it, I'm guessing that you are not looking to skip a grade right now. I am thinking that there's another benefit to staying with the older GATE kids -- if there comes a time when you feel like a full grade skip would be a good thing, being in a successful GATE class with those kids would help with advocacy. And if there is no trouble with academics besides not being a rule follower, then I wouldn't see any troubles with getting out of class at different times from his age mates. Incidentally, is he only not a rule follower with his agemates? Do you think he's doing better with the older kids? Things to think about....If acceleration is ever a thought, I highly recommend checking out the Iowa Acceleration Scales.

J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hello st pauli girl, you are correct... we do not want to do a skip. I suppose that could change in the future, but I am guessing that it won't. Having him in with the older kids is kind of like a skip for one hour a day, though.

The other thing I'm concerned about is if anyone asks him next year why he is not in GATE with the rest of the 3rd graders... if he says it's because he's HG.... that will not help him make him friends, you know what I mean?

S
    S
    "I started gate last year so I have done the 3rd grade gate units and don't need to do them again so I am doing the 4th grade gate with new assignments"

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    when my ds was in 2nd he was accelerated 2 yrs in math and LA. He also enjoyed being with the older kids. It is hard to judge but I say let him go with the older kids.

I have to say I love Dudes response. "What does your DS say about this." I have been laughed at, had eyes rolled at me by the school for asking them "Did you ask my ds what he thinks", Ask him the same way you just asked me I would tell them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM