Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #187087 04/04/14 06:33 AM
    OP Offline
    DS is 7. One of the younger kids in his grade. He struggles with social interactions and I'm trying to get the school to help out. Since February we've been waiting on the school to complete their testing, I just spoke with the VP and she said May 18th.

He gets picked on a lot by other kids because his behaviors are odd and then he lashes out when they treat him poorly. (Dont play with us, We dont want you to sit here etcetc) He does what ever he can to try and 'fit in' but it's obvious he is different. We do a lot of team sports but I'm thinking of signing him up for Martial Arts. Does anyone have success with this?

2GiftedBoys #187135 04/04/14 10:26 AM
    It's so hard. I feel for ya!

My 9 year old makes weird noises and is a loud talker (his hearing is fine). He does things that annoy other kids. When I notice his behavior annoys, I try hard to pull him aside and let him know that this is what Johnny said/did when you did X behavior. That was his way of letting you know it was bothering him. Maybe could you not jump in his face and chatter like a monkey and he may want to play.

I think a lot of it is the over excitability. I try hard to praise and give examples of how he could have done something a little different.

But yeah... it hurts when your kid says no one wants to play with him.

2GiftedBoys #187140 04/04/14 10:35 AM
    OP Offline
    It's hard because he expects kids to treat him with decency... And that just isn't reality. Plus he takes everything VERY personal.

He does get along with nice kids though, he has a ton of friends... The girls love him! But when it comes to fitting in with the 'cool' boys he doesn't.

And by cool boys I mean kids that talk back and are a lot more 'street smart' rather than book smart.

2GiftedBoys #187246 04/05/14 03:01 PM
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Oh same here!!! DS9 was SO QUIRKY. (sigh). I thought he'd never fit in anywhere, EVER. Kindergarten - grade 2 was the worst. He's currently in grade 4 and has changed dramatically.

Anyway it was so intense that the school did an Autism screening on him and recommended we get him assessed (this has since been ruled out).

My DS was constantly being rejected. It was incredibly painful for me, mostly. He didn't seem to be aware of it. He was so wrapped up in the fascinating world of his own imagination that he missed all the "social rejection cues ."

Now at 9 he is very aware, and his behaviour has changed to match. He still exhibits sensory differences but doesn't have nearly as many social challenges. He's well liked and included by the other kids.

He was included in a weekly social skills pull out at school, but that was about it. He has an ADHD diagnosis (a condition that is notorious for missed social cues) and I've treated it alternatively (no meds) with fish oil, protein, vit. D, probiotics, etc., so that may have eased some symptoms enough and made things easier for him.

He's actually unusually introspective now... his self analysis ability is way beyond his years. It's as if the pendulum has swung completely the other way in the last two years.

So I guess time, for us, was the solution. I wish I had more suggestions... just know that you're not alone smile

Edit - as for the over-excitability - this still surfaces regularly. His emotional meltdowns have stopped, but he still gets really hyper, and very very silly smile The difference now is that he can self-regulate and calm himself down, so his intensities are tolerated (and in the case of the sillies, appreciated) by the other kids. Plus he's a sensitive, friendly guy and is easy to like smile

Last edited by CCN; 04/05/14 03:06 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM