Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Some may say the described grading practice raises a concern for the integrity of a relatively high-stakes test, if tests may be seen by the masses during the grading process.

As a separate issue, there have been questions raised as to what information students may be required to answer in order to access their online test.

Some families are opting out of testing.

C
    C
    I've seen some friends who are teachers posting about how they are all geared up for the tests. This news of cheering/pep assemblies is at once appalling and ludicrous. Seriously? What's the point? Are the students going to be so excited that they do better on the tests? Is there research showing that cheering on children before tests helps their performance? I Rather Doubt It.

The idiocy of crowds.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    ... geared up for the tests. This news of cheering/pep assemblies is at once appalling and ludicrous.
    Chilling. Counterintuitive to cheer when feeling apprehension; not a cultural norm. Sounds like instilling propaganda in school children.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    I've seen some friends who are teachers posting about how they are all geared up for the tests. This news of cheering/pep assemblies is at once appalling and ludicrous. Seriously? What's the point? Are the students going to be so excited that they do better on the tests? Is there research showing that cheering on children before tests helps their performance? I Rather Doubt It.

The idiocy of crowds.

ICK. eek

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    cee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Later this month the 6th graders are taking 3 days, probably 2 hours, of math common core. My son's dreaded subject because of the repetitive boredom. Kingdom of Pain. I definitely don't encourage these feelings, I just listen, and remind him how next year it's an advanced 2 classes in 1...

But I am wondering, should we just opt out of this year's exam? Has anyone considered it?

I don't know. I would look at it as a risk v. benefit thing. What are the risks to him if he is opted out? Will you burn goodwill that you need elsewhere?

What are the risks if he takes them?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    DS8 had opportunity to take a PARCC Pilot this year. This is the last year of the state standardized testing before moving to PARCC. The pilot is used for the district and state readiness, not for scores.
    That being said, we asked for DS8 to take the pilot PARCC, as we wanted him to get a glance at the test. There are people opting out in our school for both the state and PARCC, we told him to do his best. It was more important that he get a look at the new test. He can answer math in his head, but struggles with explanation, "I just know it" is his rote answer. So any practice on explanations are encouraged. It is also his first look at a computerized test, so more focus on keyboarding.

Callaghan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM