Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by kickball
    Do we move to a district with self contained (for example, Lakewood ohio's district has had self contained for over a decade).

Have you looked into paying for the self-contained class for a year as 'out of district' students? If the housing market improves you might make up the cost of tuition on the selling price of your home (assuming you own) - anyway - I hate the idea of moving for a school that you haven't tried first - but I do like the idea of a self contained program with a track record!

Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    I think it is very tough. Since I started my school plan last fall and started touring, I found I just had different opinions than many about certain schools.

It really comes down to what you think would work best for your child.

And if you can "rent" a place in the Lakewood district, to provide residence credentials, we do that all the time in NYC to get into a zoned schools. Or is it too far for the commute?

Ren

K
    OP Offline
    K
    All good. I have called all districts (that I'm aware of)with over crowding issues not a one will let you buy in. Tried one again today that was hoping to go self contained for this upcoming year - said it would cost $9,300 but for one year and then move in might be worth it... but i don't know if they've managed to go self contained.

We live closest enough to commute to the best school for gt. but i believe education starts at home and I can't believe that and position my kid to lie about where she lives... maybe if our other option were horrific i'd feel different. but we could move into a rental until we could sell so we could start the year as selling and buying by mid august is not possible.

long-term it seems the most affordable option. i have two hg kids who i'm confident would be served in their program. if the 3rd doesn't - then we can hope for the best with their traditional programs or private for one (better than for 3). and frankly if her needs aren't so profound... well... let's worry about the one year old later.

i just need to sell my husband. it is the better than any other option. it is a 20 year program of self contained... it is public which i really want... and while we can't get the house/property we have now... i "fit" better into their working class neighborhoods then i do in the "fancy" school option (but that is where my dh and i differ). i just think great school doesn't equal great gifted... and long term if i'm to stay at home at least until all are in school.... even if we were willing to give up all the extras... long term i don't know if we can do it without me going back to work.

i just want to make a decision and be done with the process.

anyone think public school that only offers a HG/EG kid 225 minutes per week in a classroom of 29 kids per teacher is going to be a great year? the gt pull-teacher seems wonderful. but that's just for superior cognitive pull-out... the rest depends on the teacher. we've skipped K - headed to 2nd and still several grades ahead in acheivement.

Ok now. WHO took the crystal ball?!!?! I know it was on this site :-P

Help!

Kickball,

From your first post, it sounds like you live close to Lakewood? PM me if you are and I can give you some good HG school district info for the area. You may already know, but maybe it'll help.

Jen

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM