Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 34 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 33 34
    P
    P
    I think the important thing to remember is regardless of how much talent, hard work or giftedness children come to the table with they are most likely going to live pretty average lives. My husband and I both have fulfilling careers that we enjoy and allow us enough free time to enjoy other pursuits and pay us enough to enjoy our lives. If my daughter ends up like that I will be completely happy for her. About 98% of the people who graduate from ivy league schools pretty much end up about the same. My spouse in an MIT grad (not ivy but still elite), he would have made the same career choice if he graduated from his state school. I think all the pressure is to make children "exceptional" when in all honesty even with various gifts everyone will be pretty much average:). As an aside, the average IQ of a Ph.D. level university professor is 124, so 120's would be high enough (and is the norm) for the highest level of education in most developed nations.

Originally Posted by psychland
    I think the important thing to remember is regardless of how much talent, hard work or giftedness children come to the table with they are most likely going to live pretty average lives. My husband and I both have fulfilling careers that we enjoy and allow us enough free time to enjoy other pursuits and pay us enough to enjoy our lives. If my daughter ends up like that I will be completely happy for her. About 98% of the people who graduate from ivy league schools pretty much end up about the same.

This 98% thing may be the tragic outcome that Tiger Parents want to avoid.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Val
    First, what is success, and second, why do tiger parents think they have a right to define it for someone else? Your child isn't your property, and when he grows up, the right to define a) what to do with his life and b) personal success is his alone.

The answer to the second question is the same as the answer to the question of why some think a chihuahua should be carried around in a handbag. It's an accessory that belongs to the owner. Children are often viewed in the same way.

I am not sure I understand this point. As much as we say we want the kids to take the lead, everyday we see even from this board how to improve our DD or DS in reading or math or something else. Any responsible parents would want to guide their children. This guidance is based on their understanding and life experience. Sure some of them may be misguided. But there is nothing wrong on principle. I have met very few people who simply use their kids as bragging rights.

Tiger cubs can also be highly gifted. As I said earlier, the most famous ones, Amy Chua' daughters seem very very smart to me.

Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Val
    First, what is success, and second, why do tiger parents think they have a right to define it for someone else? Your child isn't your property, and when he grows up, the right to define a) what to do with his life and b) personal success is his alone.

The answer to the second question is the same as the answer to the question of why some think a chihuahua should be carried around in a handbag. It's an accessory that belongs to the owner. Children are often viewed in the same way.

I am not sure I understand this point. As much as we say we want the kids to take the lead, everyday we see even from this board how to improve our DD or DS in reading or math or something else. Any responsible parents would want to guide their children. This guidance is based on their understanding and life experience. Sure some of them may be misguided. But there is nothing wrong on principle. I have met very few people who simply use their kids as bragging rights.

Tiger cubs can also be highly gifted. As I said earlier, the most famous ones, Amy Chua' daughters seem very very smart to me.

We're not really talking about Amy Chua or her daughters here.

Val Offline
    As I said earlier, the most famous ones, Amy Chua' daughters seem very very smart to me.

Could you be seeing achievement and assuming it means that the girls are HG+? Remember, a large part of this discussion centers on the idea that tiger parenting and tiger schooling gives the appearance of being HG+ when the child is not.

I don't know anything about her kids, which includes an LOG. I don't assume a high LOG without evidence.

Also, a big complaint that parents here make is that schools use the equation gifted = achievement, which most or all of us know isn't necessarily true.

Last edited by Val; 04/04/14 01:05 PM. Reason: typos
    I am not sure I understand this point. As much as we say we want the kids to take the lead, everyday we see even from this board how to improve our DD or DS in reading or math or something else. Any responsible parents would want to guide their children.

Since you brought up Amy Chua, here is how she defines letting her kids take the lead:

Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

• attend a sleepover

• have a playdate

• be in a school play

• complain about not being in a school play

• watch TV or play computer games

• choose their own extracurricular activities

• get any grade less than an A

• not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama

• play any instrument other than the piano or violin

• not play the piano or violin.

That doesn't sound much like what you're describing. The child is not leading, and the parent is not guiding, so we're definitely talking about different parenting styles here.

Yes, they can. That still doesn't negate the fact that tiger parenting yields negative results.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad...dont-raise-superior-kids-says-new-study/

Maybe she didn't like our play.

If so, then the play thing in that item list could be partially my fault.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by SFrog
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Maybe you should have taken up fencing, flint-knapping and the sackbutt or something a few years back...

Since fencing was brought up (in jest) as something good for resume padding - should I tell my daugther not to mention the reason she picked up fencing was so she would have another assassin skill? (My first reaction was to ask - "What do you mean, another...?") She would also like to learn archery - again, not for resume padding, but because arrows are quieter than bullets.

--S.F.

Then your child and mine have something in common. Fencing studio was sadly too far away, and Ninja-school-guy never returned her calls, so she was stuck with marksmanship, but has been also pressing hard on Parkour. grin

Like Wren, we've kept certain things alive on the basis of "I can see how this is a good life-long thing for you, and you can decide to do it or not... later... but for now, we think it's a good idea to spend SOME of your time on it."

But there's a certain flexibility there-- we do NOT continue forcing things year after year if our child behaves like a submissive, frightened dog during that activity... and some of her peers very definitely seem to have that demeanor.

We also set pretty firm limits on the amount of time, and number of things we feel she can successfully juggle. Adding theater this year? No. Not without giving something else up, which she wasn't willing to do. She did do an end run around me on adding another AP class, when the one that she and I had agreed upon turned out to not be available.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I think the important thing to remember is regardless of how much talent, hard work or giftedness children come to the table with they are most likely going to live pretty average lives. My husband and I both have fulfilling careers that we enjoy and allow us enough free time to enjoy other pursuits and pay us enough to enjoy our lives. If my daughter ends up like that I will be completely happy for her. About 98% of the people who graduate from ivy league schools pretty much end up about the same.

This 98% thing may be the tragic outcome that Tiger Parents want to avoid.

Well, clearly.

Because a life of 98% living isn't really living at all, I suppose.

Heh.

OP Offline
    I think the important thing to remember is regardless of how much talent, hard work or giftedness children come to the table with they are most likely going to live pretty average lives. My husband and I both have fulfilling careers that we enjoy and allow us enough free time to enjoy other pursuits and pay us enough to enjoy our lives. If my daughter ends up like that I will be completely happy for her. About 98% of the people who graduate from ivy league schools pretty much end up about the same. My spouse in an MIT grad (not ivy but still elite), he would have made the same career choice if he graduated from his state school. I think all the pressure is to make children "exceptional" when in all honesty even with various gifts everyone will be pretty much average:). As an aside, the average IQ of a Ph.D. level university professor is 124, so 120's would be high enough (and is the norm) for the highest level of education in most developed nations.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment-- and I think that the author of the orignal article in the thread-starter would, too. smile

There is no way around the fact that the only thing which is going to elevate MOST of the members of the 99% into the 1% is luck combined with some extraordinary innate... something. It inherently lacks a certain predictability, however.

Hard work, above-average ability, and even determination will only take you so far-- they are essential of course, but not sufficient.

From what I have observed, I mean.

Page 25 of 34 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 33 34

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM