Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yes, but can you name those axes/operations? wink

Fred, George, Ron, and Percy.

Now we can all stop worrying about zero sum games, because I just won the thread.

There is no spoon.

I wonder if this thread could pass the Turing Test.

Last edited by JonLaw; 04/10/14 01:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I wonder if this thread could pass the Turing Test.

There is no thread.

M
    M
    Okay-- but also presumably, this child would not be objecting or whining if the level of the teaching/discussion in the class were more commensurate with her potential, either.

The issue is when students who don't really care about the depth of the class, or the intellectual opportunities offered, are there merely to rack up another notch somewhere-- either they care or their parents do-- and they ACTUALLY are most interested in the easiest route to an A.

That's actually a point of profound agreement in pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread thus far. smile

The problem is that it has become like that.

I understand, but I also think a point of profound agreement in this thread has been that the curriculum should NOT be diluted in order to allow the non-gifted entrance into the courses. From what I've read here, there is simply disagreement on whether the non-gifted should be admitted AT ALL, regardless of whether they can keep up with the class.

I guess I am just more of a nihilist than I ever thought, because I agree more with JonLaw's point of view that the system should be broken down and challenged rather than manipulated by any parent, whether their child is gifted or not. Can one be an idealist and nihilist at the same time? smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    Because Harvard only accepts a certain number of students every year.

The rest of the student population is relegated to the dark and musty underplaces where they have to wear an inverted scarlet H for the rest of their lives.

Hmm, and what exactly does an inverted H look like? smile

Chasing the end result is different than what much of this thread discussed, though.

Well, aside from the flippant commentary which comes and goes, I think that "chasing" the rare end results is precisely what it's all about. It's about "winning" and to do so, beating others.

Perhaps, and perhaps this is where my idealism shows. For me anyway, the end goal of education is to produce an enlightened individual, not to gain entrance to a particular college. Yeah, I know...

I guess I am just more of a nihilist than I ever thought, because I agree more with JonLaw's point of view that the system should be broken down and challenged rather than manipulated by any parent, whether their child is gifted or not. Can one be an idealist and nihilist at the same time? smile

I think you really have to create some sort of alternate system in order to make anything that is actually new. That's really the only way to challenge a system.

The goal is to develop a system that actually works better for as many of the people involved as is practical.

If you just tear out part of the old system, I would expect that you're just going to go back to where you were when that change was added in the first place.

So, if the older system was better than what you currently have, catabolism of certain aspects is a good idea.

Cultures aren't blank slates.

Val Offline
    Perhaps, and perhaps this is where my idealism shows. For me anyway, the end goal of education is to produce an enlightened individual, not to gain entrance to a particular college. Yeah, I know...

Me too. And this belief is precisely why I've argued what I have here. Unfortunately, a very large number of parental units (and many kids) don't see it that way. For them, college is about certification and status. These attitudes, plus the push for everyone to go to college, are important factors in the packing of AP and honors classes with kids who aren't prepared for the material, and for the rush to get kids into algebra and geometry classes at earlier ages.

There are two bad outcomes:

1. These classes are getting packed with kids who are there for reasons very different from wanting to learn. This creates problems for the ones who are there to learn. I think of the first group as as the "Is this going to be on the test?" crowd.

2. Kids who really aren't ready for these classes are being forced into them by tiger parents, tiger schools, or other reasons. The result is that they end up spending hours every night on homework so that, as a few have noted on this thread, they can look HG+ on paper. It's destructive and a form of child abuse IMO.

I see your points about different motivations among different people and that IQ isn't everything. I agree that there's a lot more to talent than IQ. But at the same time, it's still a big deal.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Val
    [quote=MonetFan]...For them, college is about certification and status. These attitudes, plus the push for everyone to go to college, are important factors in the packing of AP and honors classes with kids who aren't prepared for the material, and for the rush to get kids into algebra and geometry classes at earlier ages.

There are two bad outcomes:

1. These classes are getting packed with kids who are there for reasons very different from wanting to learn. This creates problems for the ones who are there to learn. I think of the first group as as the "Is this going to be on the test?" crowd.

2. Kids who really aren't ready for these classes are being forced into them by tiger parents, tiger schools, or other reasons. The result is that they end up spending hours every night on homework so that, as a few have noted on this thread, they can look HG+ on paper. It's destructive and a form of child abuse IMO.

I see your points about different motivations among different people and that IQ isn't everything. I agree that there's a lot more to talent than IQ. But at the same time, it's still a big deal.

Yes yes yes.
    Part of the problem is that the classes were created to raise the ceiling for kids who were unusually able, unusually hardworking, and/or unusually interested in the topic (with a minimum competence, of course). For kids in any of these three categories, honors/AP/whatever advanced classes can be a great experience of growth. It's not just a matter of IQ. They are there by choice.

When the class appears on transcripts and becomes important, though, the kids don't feel like they have a choice. Sometimes parents tell them to take it, sometimes they feel the anonymous pressure from some college admissions official, but for them the class stops being about curiosity and exploration and pushing limits and becomes a way to make the grade. Any class that involves group discussion, and any class where the teacher adapts content and lectures to the level of the class, is going to be immediately affected by the presence of a lot of kids who don't really want to be there. When the parents feel pressure from admissions people to make sure their kids get high grades in these classes, they end up putting pressure on the district to lower the expectations in the class so everyone who can make use of the result - the transcript notation - can get it. The end result is that even the syllabus gets diluted down as far as possible, and discussions... go away.

In our district this is followed by another round of even higher level classes to accommodate the kids the original Honors classes were designed for. Unfortunately, this transcript gets noticed too, and before you know it parents are asking for their kids to get A's in THAT class too. It seems to be never-ending.

The only solution I can think of is to remove any transcript notation of which class the student actually took. If there is no shiny prize, than anyone motivated only by shiny prizes will probably leave.

Originally Posted by ljoy
    In our district this is followed by another round of even higher level classes to accommodate the kids the original Honors classes were designed for. Unfortunately, this transcript gets noticed too, and before you know it parents are asking for their kids to get A's in THAT class too. It seems to be never-ending.

The only solution I can think of is to remove any transcript notation of which class the student actually took. If there is no shiny prize, than anyone motivated only by shiny prizes will probably leave.

It's never-ending because it's basically driven by a need to DO SOMETHING!

When the something that you do when you DO SOMETHING! is really just turning back the clock, which it is in your example, then the expected outcome is that you will end up right where you started in the first place after some time has passed.

That being said, removing transcript notations would have predictable outcomes too, given the underlying school culture.

It's not enough to say "I think they will leave". You have to look at what the cohort in question is likely to actually do in such a situation.

For example, the cohort might be expected to "replace the school board because they are hurting their children's chances of WINNING!" given who they are. I'm not saying that's the likely outcome. I'm just throwing it out there as an example of what i'm trying to say.

L
    L
    For example, the cohort might be expected to "replace the school board because they are hurting their children's chances of WINNING!" given who they are. I'm not saying that's the likely outcome. I'm just throwing it out there as an example of what i'm trying to say.

Sigh. You're right.

Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM