Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 34 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 33 34
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    So something is wrong with the course model being used.

Then don't take the course. We have the option, it's a service we're paying for. If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

I wasn't paying for anything.

In fact, I was making money my first year, so I was essentially getting paid to take classes I didn't really want to take.

No engineering, no money for college.

So you're griping about classes you were getting paid to take?
    You choose to play the game, if you choose to play the game, then you have to accept what the rules of the game are. The rules of that game are, you do the work, you pass the tests, you pass the class, you move on. If you don't like the game, don't play it.

That's a reality that my eldest DS has learned well, we all daily play games we don't control the rules of, make a choice, live with your choices.

Last edited by Old Dad; 04/01/14 03:02 PM.
    Val Offline
    So you're griping about classes you were getting paid to take?
    You choose to play the game, if you choose to play the game, then you have to accept what the rules of the game are. The rules of that game are, you do the work, you pass the tests, you pass the class, you move on. If you don't like the game, don't play it.

That's a reality that my eldest DS has learned well, we all daily play games we don't control the rules of, make a choice, live with your choices.

You make a lot of pronouncements that imply that solutions to complex problems are simple. They aren't. For example, kids aren't generally sophisticated enough to understand that stuff they've been told all or most of their lives isn't true. This is where we get former tiger cubs who become very, very unhappy when they start to grow up and realize what was going on.

There was also a blithe statement about making your own challenging workplace. That's not so easy for people who have bills to pay or special-needs kids to take care of.

Etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Val
    [ For example, kids aren't generally sophisticated enough to understand that stuff they've been told all or most of their lives isn't true. This is where we get former tiger cubs who become very, very unhappy when they start to grow up and realize what was going on.

What *does* happen to them in real life, anyway?

So you're griping about classes you were getting paid to take?You choose to play the game, if you choose to play the game, then you have to accept what the rules of the game are. The rules of that game are, you do the work, you pass the tests, you pass the class, you move on. If you don't like the game, don't play it.

Silly.

You just smash the rules you don't like.

Or break the game.

Nobody says you have to follow the rules or keep the game going.

T
    T
    I do want to say I better lots of tiger cubs are highly talented as well. For example, Amy Chua's two daughters.

T
    T
    I meant I bet.

OP Offline

It's a lesson that all outliers have to learn, to some extent, yes. We prefer (in our household) to refer to this as "nodding and smiling, but staying clear of the refreshment table."

(In other words, nobody is making any of us drink the KoolAid).

Right now, DD has a revisionist APUSH teacher who apparently thinks (among other things) that FDR was the devil, that McCarthy was simply a misunderstood man that probably saved the world, and other equally odd things. This teacher requires students to subscribe to that particular worldview or lose points on assignments, as my daughter discovered. It doesn't matter if my daughter can defend her perspective or provide evidence that support her assertions to the contrary... Nope. She knows better than to try, in fact-- she knows what she knows, and is happy to learn deeply and collect such evidence for herself, but she knows better than to turn it in for a grade.

Still, this kind of intellectually dishonest or narrow methodology is not a good way to serve very bright students, because it does force them underground like that. Not good.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    But what also kills a lot of joy for HG+ kids is sitting next to kids who have been hyper-prepped and have no love, joi de vivre , or whatever you want to call it-- for the subject.

Some of you may not yet see the results-- but trust me that such students RUIN the experience of dual enrollment or AP coursework. Because they are the ones interrupting the teacher to ask "will this be on the test?" when a smaller cohort of students is interested in exploring a topic under discussion.

It's maddening.

Your comment reminded me of this: http://www.susanohanian.org/core.php?id=681

Perhaps "Common Core" is a pseudonym for Tiger Parent?

Originally Posted by Ametrine
    But what also kills a lot of joy for HG+ kids is sitting next to kids who have been hyper-prepped and have no love, joi de vivre , or whatever you want to call it-- for the subject.

Some of you may not yet see the results-- but trust me that such students RUIN the experience of dual enrollment or AP coursework. Because they are the ones interrupting the teacher to ask "will this be on the test?" when a smaller cohort of students is interested in exploring a topic under discussion.

It's maddening.

Your comment reminded me of this: http://www.susanohanian.org/core.php?id=681

Perhaps "Common Core" is a pseudonym for Tiger Parent?

Oh, don't worry about stuff like that.

You can rest assured that McNamara and the Whiz Kids know what they are doing.

M
    M

One of my favorite professors had it on his syllabus that no one is to ever ask that question.

Page 11 of 34 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 33 34

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM