Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We were recently considering changing school districts. My friend, also with a TAG child, says I'll never find the sort of communication and attention from the District Superintendent and the Asst Super as I [we] have now. I think she might be right.

I just wonder do those of you with kids in public school get frequent face time, phone calls and emails from your Dist Spr and Ass't Spr?

Here, they hold monthly TAG Meetings which we attend and the District is right away on the phone or email [even on evenings and weekends] to address questions or concerns. Is this standard practice for your school[s]?

RCM

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    I think that sounds like an ideal situation. I've only spoken the the Dist. Ass't Spr. once and I hear that is pretty rare. We have a large district with two high schools, maybe that's why they aren't as accessable.
    We have a district supported gifted association that was started about 20 years ago by parents in order to improve gifted services. They were successful for starting an everyday pull-out for LA and Math, plus a district magnet program for kids who score in the top 2% that starts in 4th grade. The curriculum is supposed to be two years advanced. I've heard they only take kids who score 150 on the CogAt.
    It sounds great in theory........
    Unfortunately after looking into it, I've found it doesn't support HG+ kids as much as it seems it should.
    I got a look at the textbook they use starting in 4th and DD8 has already done most of it in second grade.
    The best support we have gotten is from the principal. The principals seem to have the freedom to be more flexible within their own school, so I would not move the girls to another school because I couldn't be sure they would get the same services they receive now. Realistically, I'm not sure they will stay in school, though, there is a good chance we will homeschool at some point.

acs Offline
    I have never even met our superintendent or anyone higher up than the principal. But we have always gotten what our son needed just by chatting with the teacher and very occassionally the principal. In the 7 years DS has been in this district, there have been about 3 meetings for parents of GT kids which were a waste of my time (mostly a brief intro to the programs and then GT kids reading to us for "entertainment,"), so I am not yearning for more.

But, frankly, since the teachers have been great advocates for DS and because DS is good at letting the school know what he needs, I don't see this lack of contact as a negative. He continues to thrive at his school.

I think it varies a lot by school district, we are in a district of about 22,000, the board memebers, principals, dist spr, dist gate, etc... all have had a very open door and have been easy to reach. That does not mean that we agreed or the schools could even change, but they where good at trying to work within there program, budget...

acs, I really envy your situation. I really think that is the way to go, if possible.

We are in a huge district. I have met the super and worked with people in the district office on health issues. I have never talked to them about GT issues.

I do have regular contact with the principal, in fact we just exchanged emails this week.

RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. It seems that my friend is right, then. Ooo, I hate when she's right. <grin>

For some reason, and I'm not complaining, upper Admin seems very invested in our school's TAG program [and we're not even funded or mandated!]. Any time TAG parents have an idea or complaint they're all over it - "what can we do, how can we make TAG better ...?" I guess I just assumed that this would be standard if we changed districts.

I've never really had a major issue with our DS10 but we DO have a LOT of ideas on how to make programs better or invent programs or even run them; it's for stuff mainly to benefit all of the TAG students for the District.

We still need a bigger house. That hasn't changed. DS's musical gear needs it's own room[s] at this point. We're probably going to start looking for larger homes within our District.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

RCM

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin
    Welcome RPM9!

sounds like a district that has figured out the best way to 'make friends' with the Parent's of Gifteds. We can be a rough bunch - or a wonderful hardworking bunch - depending on how we are handled, no?

Can you 'build on' to your current home?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    I have written that I am involved with AGATE and via this conference, connecting with school administrators.

DH has started going to the District Community Education Council meetings (they were a subset of the school board a few years ago but now are just PTA type of things for the district as the mayor got rid of the school board in NYC). But the plan is for him to get to know people, schmooze and have someone to call if need be.

Ren

RPM9 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We certainly can add-on but, being a small horse farm, we have acres of grass to maintain and a 600' driveway that'd we'd just rather not have to care for anymore.

We are very hard working for the District. I've seen how we are treated compared to other parents who just complain, moan and threaten and never roll up their sleeves to run a program. HUGE difference. We also tend to advocate for things that all TaG kids can benefit from. We're not at their door harping only about our kid. DS10 is an only child so we're very big on gathering together like minded peers for clubs, groups and activities.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM