Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 59 of 131 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 130 131
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Three DS stories:

---

DS2.25 came out with an amusing story after waking from his nap yesterday.

DS: Do you know what the neatest place in the world is?

Me: What's that DS?

DS: Grandma and Grandpa's house. Have you ever been there?

Me: Yes, sweetie! We visit their house together, and I used to live there when I was a little girl, from the time I was six until I went to university.

DS: I didn't know that. Mummy, do you know what I used to do when I was a little baby?

Me: I know many things that you used to do. What are you thinking of?

DS: I used to fly a green helicopter between [our city] and [my parents' city] to visit Grandma and Grandpa.

Me: That's news to me. It must have been when I was sleeping.

DS: Yes, it was at night.

-----

And today, the heart-warming:

DS: *Hugging me and smiling broadly* Mummy, I like nursing with you because I love you to infinity!

---

In the bath yesterday:

DS flings a handful of soapy bubbles at the wall of the bathtub

DS: Aha! Take that moray eel! I'm shooting my black ink at you. You'll think you're eating me because the ink smells like octopus, but I'll camouflage myself white and swim away. Ha ha ha!

(he was pretending to be an octopus)

Very sweet stories Aquinas. One of my son's favorite games is to pretend to be a moray eel. :-).

Thanks SAHM. It's serendipitous their having such closely aligned interests. I bet they'd get along...swimmingly! (Silly pun, I know.) smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    I'm totally exceeding my reasonable quota of DS anecdotes, but I have to share two cute jokes he made up tonight after I posted the earlier stories.

Context for joke 1: we play tea parties in the bath. I was in the bath, and DS ran in with a tea cup to offer refreshment.

Joke # 1:

DS-- What do you call a tea cup in the bath? A sea cup! *Uproarious giggling*

Joke # 2:

Me -- DS, you're a cutie patooie!
    DS-- No, I'm a cutie pie newt-y!

OP Offline
    DD is transposing on the fly from uptempo Broadway showtunes as she "practices" the piano. Today we're going from major keys to minor and adding a little jazz on the side. Because "everything is better with swing. EVERYTHING."

I beg to differ when it comes to Bartok. Sorry kid, but that just sounds like... well, the audio equivalent of taking a Renaissance painting and running it through the "cubist" and "surrealist" filter.

Pretty sure that this is doing nothing to improve the neither the Chabrier nor the Scott Joplin work that she is (theoretically) working on. Oh well. It's improving theoretical knowledge and technique either way, right? (Somehow this actually seems to work for her, as bizarre as it sounds-- it doesn't matter WHAT she plays, as long as she practices mindfully at SOMETHING for 20-40 minutes a day, seemingly.)

Hey-- it beats tangling with her over practice time, anyway. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Acoustic dubstep, eh HK?

U
    U
    DD10 is obsessed with paradoxes these days. At dinner:

"This is a gruesome paradox, but if you went back in time and killed your parents, would you still exist?"

DS6 followed up with: "If you throw up while you're invisible, can people see the throw-up?"

U
    U
    I explained Schrodinger's Cat to her to the best of my ability. Her response: "No, you'd know if it was dead because you'd hear it meowing inside the box. Or not."

Ha!

I
    I
    Ultramarina, OMG - I am seriously laughing out loud! Those two are hysterical! And, yes, so very clever!

OP Offline
    Clearly this is a young woman who is familiar with the habits of cats. wink

DD9 is delighted with her new vocabulary words, emphasizing latin prefixes/suffixes/roots, and has been quizzing us throughout the exercise.

"Dad, are you antediluvian, or antiantediluvian?"

Then I caught her singing the theme from Star Wars in the style of Bill Murray.

OP Offline
    DD14, reading a problem on an AP stats quiz, which provided the normal distribution for 13yo SAT scores for Duke's talent-search.

Wow-- so, um-- is 400 like an 'average' SAT section score?? I thought that was, like, REALLY bad...

She seriously had no idea that most 13yo's wouldn't even score that well, and that this is like a "MG" population to begin with. NO. clue that her scores at 13yo were at or beyond TIP's top reported scores.

So what does it mean that my scores were over 700, then? Is this normally distributed data? {calculator punching}

{gasp}

NO. WAY!!!

blush

I think that someone just figured out that she's, like, REALLY different from her MG friends who got those scores at 17yo.

In related news, I think that she just figured out that she's several standard deviations from the mean.

It's not like we've hidden this from her, or that she wasn't aware that she was brighter than the average (bright) bear, or anything-- just that the combination of running into this problem, THIS particular data, in THIS particular context made her come face to face with a stat that suggests that she's probably at the 1:10000 mark. This epiphany only happened because 13yo wasn't that far in her own past, and because she's in AP statistics-- in other words, as a result of being HG+ and grade-accelerated.

I think it shocked her. She seems to be more than a little bit surprised by how far out it places her-- and yes, I'm well aware that since she was grade-accelerated, it's less meaningful since at 13yo, she was a high school junior already, and not a 7th grader...

it's just wacky to me that she sees herself as "pretty bright, I guess" but doesn't necessarily assume that she's brighter than others, or really all that extraordinary as a result.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, honestly. I guess I'm glad that her ego is not tied up in being "smartest person" in the room, but at the same time, it feels as though she has an unrealistically low impression of her own cognitive ability.

Page 59 of 131 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM