Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 131 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 130 131
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Heh, heh, diggin the scientific Minecraft. Glad DS7 isn't the only one with a gruesome sense of scientific humor. We've been fans of Phineas and Ferb for a while, and play a game of science gone wrong with Dr. Doofenschmirtz as the star. Typically we end up with real science... like "ooo... my Saltinator 3000 is almost ready. Ah there's the missing ingredients, 'Do It Yourself Salt', quite the bargain! OK, I'll just open the chlorine bottle... oh wait, the sodium has oil all over it, I better take that to the bath tub and wash it off first...."

LOVE it.

Professor Doofenschmirtz is the best thing that ever happened to animation.

C
    C
    I don't know that this has much to do with being gifted (presumably) but it does explain much about our difficulties with trying to get DD to do anything she doesn't want to do or any attempt to discipline. DD6 is quite stubborn, usually very sweet but prone to some mind blowing tantrums and power struggles.

DD6 and DD2 were eating lunch. DD6 was bossing little sis and telling her exactly how she needed to eat and how many bites she needed etc. I reminded DD6 that she should just eat her own lunch and that she was not the boss. She sighed heavily and said, "Its just that I am the boss in my head and its hard to keep it to myself."

Exactly what I thought she thought but funny to hear her say it!

A
    A
    DS20mo spent a large part of yesterday making up stories about an imaginary ruffled grouse (his choice protagonist) who is, apparently, the master of operating all types of construction and transportation equipment. The stories went along the lines of:

"Mummy, see ruffled grouse off inside distance? Ruffled grouse is manoeuvring crane truck, lowering cement drum to cement mixer. See! Ruffled grouse is lifting drum to roof of condo for construction crew. Ruffled grouse has big green bulgy eyes."

I've also been regaled with the antics of a mouse with "big blue bulgy eyes" who often joins us at the playground, a crocodile with "snappy jaws" under our couch, and a moose on the upstairs balcony who "bellows at pigeons" to protect our plants.

Oh, and the garbage trucks...our passion du jour. Lord help me if we so much as walk by a garbage can! DS will launch into a lengthy diatribe about the process of garbage collection in minute detail, from curbside collection to incineration/recycling/burial. Who ever knew there was so much to love about trash? smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Heh, heh, diggin the scientific Minecraft. Glad DS7 isn't the only one with a gruesome sense of scientific humor. We've been fans of Phineas and Ferb for a while, and play a game of science gone wrong with Dr. Doofenschmirtz as the star. Typically we end up with real science... like "ooo... my Saltinator 3000 is almost ready. Ah there's the missing ingredients, 'Do It Yourself Salt', quite the bargain! OK, I'll just open the chlorine bottle... oh wait, the sodium has oil all over it, I better take that to the bath tub and wash it off first...."

LOVE it.

Professor Doofenschmirtz is the best thing that ever happened to animation.

We are building plenty of -inators here too! Lol - it is such an awesome show, and we love the app too. But darn it that song - DS 7 will run around going Doofenschmirtz, INC in that sing songy way, it's the worst ear worm!!! But love the celebration of smart sciency kids.

DeHe

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Daddy-DD almost3 conversations.

DD: "Hold on, the app is updating. It's downloading more data, you see?"
    SO: "What has your mommy been teaching you?"

DD: "I want to wear my teal shirt with large navy polkadots."
    SO: "You mean your green shirt with blue circles?"
    DD: "MOMMY MOMMY, Daddy doesn't know his colors!!!"

Priceless!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    We have color arguments at the house ALL. THE. TIME.

I refuse to be moved from the proposition that the second property group from Go on the Monopoly board is a bluish gray, far more gray than blue, so "blue-gray" or "gray" are acceptable descriptions, but never "blue." Also, the third property group is close enough to the boundary between dark pink/purple that either "pink" or "purple" are acceptable.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Dude
    We have color arguments at the house ALL. THE. TIME.

I refuse to be moved from the proposition that the second property group from Go on the Monopoly board is a bluish gray, far more gray than blue, so "blue-gray" or "gray" are acceptable descriptions, but never "blue." Also, the third property group is close enough to the boundary between dark pink/purple that either "pink" or "purple" are acceptable.

My optometrist told me that everyone has slightly different limits to their color spectrum, and it is broadly gender linked. Men see further into the blue and not as far into the red as women (with a lot of variation within genders). DH had I regularly have arguments about my grey sweatshirt (blue to him).

I teach a class where color perception is important, and we often encounter this issue in grading lab assignments. Blue/grey is most often the different (my key says grey, a lot of the male students and the occasional female student writes blue), with pink/red/purple being second most commonly different from my key.

Z
    Z
    Here's an interesting online test to guage color acuity:
    http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Daddy-DD almost3 conversations.

DD: "Hold on, the app is updating. It's downloading more data, you see?"
    SO: "What has your mommy been teaching you?"

DD: "I want to wear my teal shirt with large navy polkadots."
    SO: "You mean your green shirt with blue circles?"
    DD: "MOMMY MOMMY, Daddy doesn't know his colors!!!"

I didn't get this immediately. This is a question of vocabulary, not color perception.

Here is my complete list of colors.
    Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, white, grey, black.

Beyond that, you should specify a wavelength, or a spectrum.

OP Offline
    I've often thought that just specifying hex codes would work fine.

wink

I may be a bit unusual in this regard, however.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 13 of 131 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM