Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My 7 year old has been selected to test for the gifted program in her school..TAG in fulton county Georgia ... I have been told I do not need to prepare her but I would like to know if there are any sites which have some samples on what to expect in such exams .. I do not wan't to put pressure on her but would like to cover some areas of the tests if possible ..
    thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice ..
    Sunita

My guess is that talking to her and encouraging her to follow her interests is the only prep that she will need. Most of these types of test depend on the children NOT being prepared. Lots of trips to the library are also reccomended.

Good night sleep the night before and proper breadfast help also.
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    I have a 1st grader in the gifted program, she was tested in Kindergarten. Like you I wanted to let her have some practice skills with the test so she wouldnt be scared.
    She is exceptionally bright but lacks confidence, making her fear tests. She did very well and when I asked her what she had to do she replied 'baby stuff'. That probably was the academic tests. I feel the best way to prepare her is to practice some logical reasoning work sheets, from what I've seen so far this is one of the main assessment areas.
    Hope this helps.

A
    A
    My kids were also tested in Kindergarten. The most difficult thing for my youngest (a girl) was that they read the questions to her, rather than letting her read them herself. Luckily, she was having a good day of listening. If your child is already reading well, you may want to read her some multiple choice questions to get her to practice listening skills. You may also want to include listening and doing problems, e.g. draw a circle inside of a triangle. All of my kids also talked about the folders and how cool that was - they set folders up on the spines to create little cubicles so the students can not see each other's work. Playing a game or something with these barriers in the way may also make her more comfortable in the actual test.

I echo the good night sleep and the good breakfast as being important.

Finally, try to deal with your own anxiety so that your child does not pick it up. I always tell mine: "Just do your best and have fun with it!"

Peace and Joy,
    Alisha

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM