Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Thank you all so much for your replies and thoughts. It feels so comforting to know that you understand the issue.
    Our DS has been in this Blue Ribbon catholic school since 4 years old and they have known him for 3 years. They know his work and abilities. It truly is a great school with a standard probably a year ahead in terms of what the kids do there by comparison to public schools at the same age. Yet, our son only goes to school to socialize. He does not learn much there, and most of this knowledge comes from self-study. He is bored in class and gets in trouble playing with his supplies, talking, etc. He refused to complete quizzes twice, saying they were too easy (and ended up in the principal’s office). We worry that if he stays in an environment that does not challenge him, he will continue getting in trouble and only associate school with play and boredom. We would like him to keep up his passion for knowledge, which he fully fuels at home by himself, but also not assume that school will always be easy for him.
    Catholic schools are so great - top quality standards, good morals, structure and discipline. Yet, they do not seem to recognize when a child is really different. And they do not have a provision to help those very advanced, yet there is always help for those lagging behind.
    We understand that test-placing at 5th or 6th grade level does not mean that's where our DS belongs. In fact, he placed at 9th grade level in applied math, 8th grade in word identification (he reads adult college material), 4th grade in math fluency. We just think that skipping one grade would truly help him be with kids more like him and challenge him more, keeping him away from getting in trouble. And since he is only 2 months away from the age grade cut-off, he would not be that different from kids who are a year ahead grade-wise. The gifted program in our city is practically non-existent (1 teacher for 3 schools and all elementary grades). We cannot afford Montessori now. If only our school, which is already so academically advanced, saw positives in our son instead of a boy who disturbs in class and needs to get on with the program like the rest. And the funny thing is, he is extremely social and is loved by his friends at school and outside. He gets along with older kids just as well and loves to talk to them, because they know more.
    I have a feeling you understand my pain...

Last edited by Lily1972; 02/19/14 08:03 PM.
    C
    C
    Yes, I can understand your pain. DS had an absolutely awful 1st grade year at a private (secular) school. We now have him in a Catholic school that has accelerated him two grades in math. He gets some additional individualized (project-based, has written a play, researched traditions, etc.) as well. In this case, the principal is very familiar with the needs of gifted children from a prior school with a higher-than-average number of same, probably due to proximity to a leading university (which also has a fantastic G&T program). We drive right past another Catholic school to get him to this school.

Even with that, we have had to share information about his educational needs with his classroom teacher, who has not had a child quite like him. We are fortunate in that she is experienced, positive and unfazed by boy behaviour. We take things one year at a time, but really, are finding so much has to do with how the principal and teacher(s) think about gifted children. If you look at other Catholic schools, I would be very open about your son and listen extremely carefully to what they say.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 02/19/14 01:03 PM.
    C
    C
    It is definitely, as are all things, in my opinion, up to the principal, with varying teacher influence. While it is great to think all kids are talented and capable, it doesn't seem very bright to think those talents and capabilities are identical from child to child. smirk

FWIW, we had talked to another Catholic school, in another state, before DS first grade year (we moved that summer). That one would accelerate in classroom, at least in math, although primarily with advanced worksheets (not ideal). DS is 7 and in 2nd grade.

We are not in Chicago, but are in the midwest.

Do you have other school options outside of the current Catholic school?

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 02/19/14 01:19 PM.
    OP Offline
    The local public schools are not an option, unfortunately. My husband has a startup company and we do not have a lot of extra cash for a great and more flexible private school. Catholic school options are great as a principle, as their standards are already much higher, plus they are not as expensive.
    I am thrilled to hear that some catholic schools look at advanced children as an opportunity instead of trouble! Thank you for this ray of light!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Lily1972
    Meantime, we received the formal results from the evaluation by the New York City Department of Education and they look as follows -
    WISC-IV - full score is 132, Very Superior Range.
    WJ-III Achievement - broad math is 6.6 grade, broad reading is 5.8 grade.
    William is in 1st grade now and will be 7 years old on March 4th, in 2 weeks.

I am curious: how did you get the NYC DOE to administer these tests to your son? My understanding is that they use the OLSAT and NNAT-2 for regular G&T testing and that applicants must pursue private testing for admission to Hunter at the elementary level. I am sure many parents would love to have access to the WISC-IV and WJ-III through DOE.

OP Offline
    Azucena - I am not sure why he was administered these tests and not others. We did not ask for anything specific in terms of how he would be tested. I guess they made that decision. How are these tests different or more valuable from OLSAT or NNAT-2 if you say that others would love to have access to these? DS was not tested for G&T, he was tested for academic advancement in general because we assumed he misbehaved in class out of boredom (true) while the school said he had social, focus and behavioral issues (not true). He was tested because of his behavior in class.
    As always, thank you.

OP Offline
    Dear All,
    I am so happy to report that our school is accelerating out son to second grade staring on Monday, in 4 days. They recognized that his case was special and justifiable and decided to break their 80-year old tradition of never promoting students to higher grades. We are so happy and relieved. And most of all – happy for our son, who will be more challenged at school, but also able to use and show his real abilities with more difficult material.
    There is always hope, it seems!

K
    K
    This is wonderful news!

C
    C
    Great news!

Great news! And a good reminder that just because a school says they don't do acceleration or never have done acceleartion, that doesn't mean that they can't. Good job advocating for your DS!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM