Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Yeah, I totally get your concern there. We have always insisted that at least one of DD's activities has to be an athletic one, for health reasons. This policy has proven itself to be good for her in other ways as well.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    It's the single focus on one competitive thing here (for a little guy) that I wonder about here for DS. He does actually have some interest in sports, too, and I feel like a heavy chess schedule kind of precludes that.

Couldn't agree more. They don't have enough PE and recess in school for a child to develop a healthy amount of coordination and heart strength. Not to mention, it's good for more academically-oriented kids to do something that is not their forte, to strengthen their mettle.

Yeah-- we've made the more physical activity not really negotiable with our DD, too-- so she runs every morning with the dog.

We don't do what Jon posits-- I only count active dog-time. But we aren't really into AKC conformation events, and only do AKC companion activities. All of this is local, and most of it is training time.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    OK, LOL! I guess I am involved in "dogging" (and just hadn't heard the term before!), and was looking to get DD involved with our next dog, too! Great activity for kids, IMO.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yeah-- we've made the more physical activity not really negotiable with our DD, too-- so she runs every morning with the dog.

We don't do what Jon posits-- I only count active dog-time. But we aren't really into AKC conformation events, and only do AKC companion activities. All of this is local, and most of it is training time.

All the cool doggists championize their dogs.

Don't you want to be cool?

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I'm really surprised at the large numbers here. Many of your kids are spending longer on a single activity than the number of waking non-school non-travelling hours my kid has in total!

Well, in the case of things like dogging, a lot of it is travel time, so you spend 12 hours in a van with dogs in crates.

The dogs must really love that.

L
    L

There is an OTCH and a MACH to championize companion dogs - those are cool. wink

And I apologize for getting off topic.

Originally Posted by Val
    I'm really surprised at the large numbers here. Many of your kids are spending longer on a single activity than the number of waking non-school non-travelling hours my kid has in total!

Well, in the case of things like dogging, a lot of it is travel time, so you spend 12 hours in a van with dogs in crates.

Oh, the crates are their little homes!

You haven't truly lived until you spend 12 hours sandwiched in a van with a half-dozen high-quality purebred championship-ready dogs in crates.

Don't worry, you get to get out and walk them every 70 miles.

There are little fences you can buy so that you create a little dog activity area whenever you stop at the rest areas on the interstate.

Also, bully sticks.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/28/dog-treat-made-from-bull-penis-may-pose-health-risks/

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val

They do. It looks great on an application to Ruffgers. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.

Oh, I think that ship sailed the minute I took up a band instrument, and DD was doomed right from the start. I tried to stop her from laughing at Far Side anthologies, but she wouldn't leave them alone....

Have I mentioned that our high school aged doggers are kids who also like playing Cards Against Humanity, do math for fun, and kick butt in robotics competitions? Have I? There are three early college entrants/accelerants among them, including my DD, too, so clearly the nerdy, smart kids all dog. But let's be perfectly honest about this-- "Cool" it isn't. If you haven't seen Best in Show, I highly recommend this painfully true window into dogging.

@Val: some dogs share better than others when it comes to crate space. I have photos of our Sheltie happily curled up sleeping with DD at the end of a state fair day-- with DD fully inside the crate with her. This probably means I'm an awful parent, but I thought it was funny. whistle

Sheltie considers herself most Cool of all when Master deigns to give little Dobby clothesssss.. (for Freestyle). We're the other kind of dog activity people. It's a little like being Grateful Dead groupies.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DS is actually naturally athletic so in his case, it's not an thing where he should so sports to be, you know, sort of humbled. (I don't mean to sound flippant. I get it.) But I just can't commit to both chess and sports at the same time. However, he might just enjoy sports just as much. We really probably need to give it a whirl. That does factor in...

FWIW, I think if ultramarina's son were mine, I'd allow him to do the amount of chess he's asking for to the extent that its impact on other family members was acceptable, but I'd try really, really hard not to get invested in his success myself, and not to assume he'd want to do X this year because he was doing it last year - make sure the way is clear for other interests to rise up if they will.

I thought I wasn't invested, but I came to see pretty quickly how that happens. It was the coaches freaking out over him that got us invested! The second tournament, where he didn't do very well and got upset, was a good wake-up call for me. He needs to have fun doing this and we need to keep an eye on the whole thing for everyone. At this point I think I've readjusted my attitude. But, and this is important, I don't think DS has. Much has been made of him by friends, coaches, and family members (I don't mean me as much as grandparents). That has also been annoying for DD10, though some of this is just, you know, life with siblings and it happens. For these reasons, I have some interest in tamping down the whole thing.

But, see, he loves it. He's been crying about not having chess club over the summer.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM