Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Does it help to think of a decision, either way, being just for the next six months or year, and put a date in the diary to reconsider?

It feels slippery-slopeish. I mean, in September I thought it was completely bizarre/hilarious that his school coach kept telling us he should go to private coaching. (Because he was five!!) Now it's March and I'm like, yeah, the coaching. Maybe we should do that?

C
    C
    Maybe deciding not to do coaching right now, but telling DS you'll talk about it again in September and if he still really wants to do it then he can, would help you feel you have some control? Or maybe that thought experiment leaves you unable to imagine him not still wanting it in September, and that helps you decide to do it now?

I do sympathise! It's very tricky.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DS is actually naturally athletic so in his case, it's not an thing where he should so sports to be, you know, sort of humbled. (I don't mean to sound flippant. I get it.)

Our DD doesn't need to be humbled, quite the opposite, as she's her own worst critic. Sports is an avenue for her to build her self-esteem, because she is good at athletics, and she's hearing encouragement from people who aren't her parents. She thinks we can't be objective about her, so she tunes us out.

It's also good for her to learn that other people are good at things, too, because she may make a great play on the soccer field, only to be stopped by someone who also made one.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM