Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    "Are you whining? Because we're going on a trip soon and I could use the extra money."

ROFL! This so sounds like things I've said.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD simply has a rather oppositional/contrarian streak in her personality, and no amount of loving/careful parenting is enough to negate that fact.

They really are just all a bit different from one another.

This is my greatest challenge as a parent, actually-- it's not really a desire for autonomy, even, more of a power struggle that is ongoing and continuous, and began when my (very well-attached) DD was about a year old. My devotion and love for her creates a bedrock that allows her to build this kind of experimental space atop it-- and (unfortunately for me) this is her interpersonal test lab. {sigh}

This sounds eerily familiar. With DD, what I encounter seems deeply rooted in temperament. She is a very CURIOUS child and I indeed seem to be her "test lab." When an issue is not up for debate, I am actually much firmer with my DD than I am with my younger DS, because of their different temperaments. If I show any sign of "weakness" in my discussions with her, she will take this as a signal that an issue is up for debate (if you give her an inch...). DS has been raised almost the same way as DD and simply does not question authority the way DD does - they are wired completely differently this way. DD simply has a much stronger drive to have things go exactly her way. She sees no need to do things as others have (or as they have suggested) - she has her own "vision." It can be extremely difficult to divert her from that. She is NOT a follower. But, unfortunately, she doesn't always appreciate being led (which is, obviously, sometimes necessary).

Overall, I feel as though I need to be much "stronger" with DD to enforce my point than I'd like to be. Sometimes, explaining "why" a rule is necessary just leads her to then conclude that it must then be negotiable. Still, we have had lengthy discussions about "why" various rules exist when not in the heat of the moment. Sometimes, though, less talk is better.

So interesting to hear the experiences of others - thank you!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The IRS agent who comes knocking on your door, the TSA agent at the airport... yeah-- they may make totally irrational and intrusive demands of you, and honestly-- it's in your own best interests to just grin and bear it with a high degree of cooperation. Arguing with a cop over a speeding ticket when s/he is having a REALLY bad day... is not going to go anywhere good. No matter how justified you feel.

For a kid like my DD... this is a lesson she must learn. MUST learn.

YES YES YES.

Z
    Z
    I had a near phobia of people with excessive opinions of their authority when I was in my twenties, particularly like rent-a-cops with guns. Worried that they would accuse me of something incorrect and I would argue with them to the point of them getting angry and pulling their gun. Then I figured my worrying about that would make me look suspicious, etc.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM