Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    A minimum wage job may represent a living wage for a young adult living with his parents...

By that standard, my kids earn a living wage, then. Each of them gets around $200 - $300 per year in gifts and as payment for doing extra chores. They can pretty much buy anything their little hearts desire, within reason (DS13 was dismayed to learn recently that he couldn't afford the drone they sell at Barnes and Noble).

The solution must just be to ensure that no one ever moves out of the parental home.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Dude's point is well-taken there. As long as we see this as a 'zero sum game' in which ANY resources directed at students in the 99th percentile are "diverted" from "those poor children" at the 1st percentile, this isn't going to change. At some point we need to step back and ask which is the better investment in the long run-- and admit that even if it IS a zero-sum game, maybe we're not calculating the opportunity costs correctly.

The problem is intertemporal discounting and the fact that political will exists on a 4 year cycle. There's no will politically to develop a coherent human capital investment strategy because revenue generating ability isn't linked one-to-one with voter head counts.

I agree that the opportunity costs aren't being fully considered--not even close. There is a large fiscal multiplier on disruptive innovation, the kind that is disproportionately in the hands of the most cognitively able. But it's easy to argue away because those gains will only be realized a generation or more away, while the cost of social assistance is more palatable and imminent.

There are perverse risk appetites at play. That society chooses time and again to bankroll the least able students tells me we're an excessively risk averse society when it comes to education. We don't trust today's most able students to provide a greater opportunity set in the future. Yet we continue to borrow heavily against the future assuming the next generation will pick up the tab absent disruptive innovations. It's lunacy.

I'd rather see the most assistance given where low economic privilege and high cognitive ability intersect. Nobody should be penalized because their parents are poor. Similarly, nobody should be doubly penalized for coming from an economically disadvantaged family and being cognitively well endowed in an unsupportive education system. Ironically, grade skipping is cheap. Go figure.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    I should add that when I say "revenue generating ability", I mean an individual's ability to both earn his/her own income and create opportunities for others to do so, either through creating new technologies or markets, jobs, engaging in mentorship that enhances future generations' productivity, etc...

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    A minimum wage job may represent a living wage for a young adult living with his parents...

By that standard, my kids earn a living wage, then. Each of them gets around $200 - $300 per year in gifts and as payment for doing extra chores. They can pretty much buy anything their little hearts desire, within reason (DS13 was dismayed to learn recently that he couldn't afford the drone they sell at Barnes and Noble).

The solution must just be to ensure that no one ever moves out of the parental home.

Or-- workhouses!!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Totally agree that helping kids who are struggling is the RIGHT thing to do, but pretending like every child is going to be at grade level if you just spend enough also seems unrealistic. There have to be lines of achievement below which kids shouldn't be allowed to fall without kicking into some SERIOUS interventions, but that should be the same for the other side of things. (gifted children)

Thankfully the author does note that the simplest of interventions for the gifted such as skipping a grade do seem to result in solid returns on feelings of challenge, and life achievement. It would have been nice to see the author challenge the studies that show if you identify leaders you are then identifying non-leaders.

I think the point about selecting for music and sports is a good one and a bad one. On one hand, people tend to accept that not everyone is going to be a sports god or a rock star. Not many people get to do that.
    But chemist seems much more mundane; should most folks be able to obtain that? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess part of the problem is that there continues to be a debate over whether it is a. natural talent or b. superior opportunities that move any first grader up through a phd program.

I read an article the other day, 'tips for college students' and the professor writing the article starts right in on how "there isn't something called 'intellect' which is stuffed in your head... " the point being, that students need to study. But really, intelligence isn't a thing?
    Hm. Wish I could find the link, but you get the point. This is a person teaching at a college, supposedly, and the idea that some students learn things more quickly is not true (to him).

Last edited by chris1234; 03/17/14 03:35 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    IMO, the best way to educate HG+ kids is to give them their own schools with teachers who are degreed in the subjects they teach and have had a lot training in the needs and capabilities of gifted kids.
    This may work well in areas with sufficient population density to fill a school with HG+ pupils. In others areas, a school-within-a-school, or flexible multi-age cluster grouping by ability and readiness may serve students well without risking claims of "tracking" (Lots of ideas for ideal educational setting at this recent thread .)

P
    P
    Statisically there are probably not enough kids in my city to do more than one class of combined year one to six. Two classes if they are less than standard size maybe.

U
    U
    It's also true that (IMO) we're trying to get everyone to meet a benchmark that a fair number of those people probably CANNOT meet. The reasons are myriad, of course-- but some of those problems are mutable and some of them aren't. Until we start (as a society) teasing apart which problems can be fixed in that cohort, it seems an awful lot like throwing good money after bad.

Well, we actually need to start before K. This is why Obama is pushing pre-K, to the dismay of the right and the left and so on and so forth. The research is fairly strong, but it has to be really, really good pre-K, not cookie-cutter, with trained teachers teaching a complex curriculum with care, sensitivity, and community support, and unfortunately that probably doesn't scale at all well. Still, states like OK and FL that have instituted universal pre-K have seen some gains.

There's interesting work being done with interventions to get parents to just TALK to their babies more. They use a device to measure words spoken. You get feedback quickly so you try harder. People really do want their kids to succeed. Many don't really know what this would entail.

I
    I
    There's interesting work being done with interventions to get parents to just TALK to their babies more.
    Some may say this is ideal: free, accessible to all, while providing a bond between parent and child. smile

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    It's also true that (IMO) we're trying to get everyone to meet a benchmark that a fair number of those people probably CANNOT meet. The reasons are myriad, of course-- but some of those problems are mutable and some of them aren't. Until we start (as a society) teasing apart which problems can be fixed in that cohort, it seems an awful lot like throwing good money after bad.

Well, we actually need to start before K. This is why Obama is pushing pre-K, to the dismay of the right and the left and so on and so forth. The research is fairly strong, but it has to be really, really good pre-K, not cookie-cutter, with trained teachers teaching a complex curriculum with care, sensitivity, and community support, and unfortunately that probably doesn't scale at all well.

Here is a less optimistic take on pre-K from someone who has studied it a lot:

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/brown-center-chalkboard/posts/2014/02/26-does-prek-work-whitehurst
    Does Pre-k Work? It Depends How Picky You Are
    by Grover J. "Russ" Whitehurst
    Brookings
    February 26, 2014

Not one of the studies that has suggested long-term positive impacts of center-based early childhood programs has been based on a well-implemented and appropriately analyzed randomized trial, and nearly all have serious limitations in external validity. In contrast, the only two studies in the list with both high internal and external validity (Head Start Impact and Tennessee) find null or negative impacts, and all of the studies that point to very small, null, or negative effects have high external validity. In general, a finding of meaningful long-term outcomes of an early childhood intervention is more likely when the program is old, or small, or a multi-year intervention, and evaluated with something other than a well-implemented RCT. In contrast, as the program being evaluated becomes closer to universal pre-k for four-year-olds and the evaluation design is an RCT, the outcomes beyond the pre-k year diminish to nothing.

I conclude that the best available evidence raises serious doubts that a large public investment in the expansion of pre-k for four-year-olds will have the long-term effects that advocates tout.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM