Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    DD10 needs help understanding non-verbal (as well as verbal) cues and I'm looking for any resources that might be out there to help an Aspie-ish kid get clued in. She's kind and affectionate, but for example does not always understand when she is annoying someone (unless they say so very clearly). The Davidson people had suggested working through Cathi Cohen's "Raise Your Child's Social IQ," and we're going to do that at home, but it would be nice to also try other things because I think the more directions we come from the more likely something is to click with her. We've tried social skills groups; one was useful but the psychologist leading it moved away, and the last two have been disasters--the first was all boys and seemed to have little or no supervision, and the second was girls but the group leader kept getting mad and yelling at her and DD would be in tears at the end--so, not very helpful, and we stopped going. If anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them.

I
    I
    There are lots of good resources at Prufrock Press, Great Potential Press, free spirit publishing, Magination Press.

One new book from 2013 is Asperkids Secret Book of Social Rules (http://www.amazon.com/Asperkids-Secret-Book-Social-Rules/dp/1849059152)

From 2011: Social Rules For Kids - Top 100 Social Rules Kids Need to Succeed (http://www.amazon.com/Social-Rules-Kids-The-Kids-Succeed/dp/1934575844)

D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, indigo!! I will definitely get these. smile

Thesocialexpress.com website has a home program. It is a web based program for social cue learning.

D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, maisey. smile That looks interesting; I'm going to sign DD up for the trial and see how it goes.

I
    I
    Your daughter may be young for this or not inclined to do it, but when my D was in middle school she realized she was having trouble with this. So she spent time on the computer looking at YouTube videos of people showing different emotions and trying to parse them. I think she both wanted to understand what various emotions "looked" like, and also practice showing them herself. She didn't tell me she had done this until a few years later, but I thought it was a really creative approach she designed for herself to work on this issue.

This is great stuff- thanks to all that have shared!

Become what you are
    I
    I
    ... looking at YouTube videos...
    This reminds me of people-watching... opportunities may be presented IRL every day. The keys to success may be remaining unobtrusive, not staring, and discretely not drawing attention to parent/child whilst doing this. Above all, don't point! crazy Life provides many educational opportunities if we are open to the teachable moment to observe and discuss body language and facial expression smile

D
    D
    There is a nice Australian curriculum, don't know if it's easy to get or not, called "secret agent society." Good for this age group.

W
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    W
    Hi,
    Here are two workbooks that I have, both by Michelle Garcia Winner. I attended one of her workshops and thought it was very helpful.

Social Behavior Mapping
    Social Thinking Worksheets for Tweens and Teens (with CD)

Her website is
    socialthinking.com

These workbooks can also be found on Amazon.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM