Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
    U
    U
    We have Rush Hour Jr but I was thinking he probably was too young still. I'll look up the states one. He knows where all the states are (as does DD--that was quite the party trick at school when she was in K). Is that a good thing or a bad thing for this game? smile

Also, here is where I confess that I find Yahtzee a snoozefest. Where is that "hiding under chair" smiley? You won't find putting Monopoly in the Amazon cart either!

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/19/12 07:21 AM.
    Hi UM
    Not sure if he is too young but we just started playing Munchkin. It's hilarious - it makes fun of role playing games so if you like them it's really funny. High recommend for anyone into sci fi, dungeons and dragons or anything of that ilk. A lot of the jokes go over DS6 head but some of it, he totally gets. And the art is awesome. But it does have counting as you go up and down levels and have to have bigger numbers to defeat the monsters. There is some working together but also some working against so no real positive moral component. But DH and I probably enjoyed it as much or more than DS but then we are total geeks!

DeHe

E
    E
    How about Cluzzle? Would the clay be any better than drawing? I've enjoyed playing it with kids.

R
    R
    We bought Munchkin for DS8 when he just turned 6 as well. He wouldn't read after kinder, but he would read each and every card. Love Munchkin.

U
    U
    Munchkin does not look like it will go over well with my 8yo, who is very peaceloving and hates anything with violence, soooo....

E
    E
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but we LOVE Qwirkle. It's a cross between Rummy (or Rumicube) and scrabble but requires no spelling skills. You must line same color or same-shaped tiles in a crossword pattern for points. My DS5 is quite good, and my DD2 loves to do the matching part, but it's still fun and challenging enough for adults.

We're a big strategy board game family (like Mayfair makes)...it's where my dh and my inner nerds really come out. An easy strategy game that kids could play (maybe 7+?) is Ticket To Ride (by Mayfair). It involves simple strategy to connect cities by collecting train cars. Great way to teach geography (they have US map, Europe, etc) and logic at same time.

Last edited by Evemomma; 07/02/12 05:51 AM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Munchkin does not look like it will go over well with my 8yo, who is very peaceloving and hates anything with violence, soooo....

Mine is afraid of movies, loud noises, we couldn't get through the first chapter of Harry potter - but DS loves evil villains and their supplies. His favorite things are security systems - we draw crazy systems with lasers, thumb prints, ejecter things. So I wouldn't say munchkin is violent in a HP kind of way, but it's a funny violence and you just collect it and read it, you are oddly not harming anyone, but having more points then they do. But my DS gets hysterics over having a phaser, xrayser, daser, maser, laser - because anything ending in aser is additive!!! But you aren't shooting anyone exactly. Just implied smile. I would then break out the forbidden island, and the ones like it. It's a great game.

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 07/02/12 06:50 AM.
    U
    U
    Funny violence might be okay. It has occurred me to recently that she never blinked an eye at Roald Dahl, who of course is quite violent, because it's so broad and funny. It's hard to say. We have this book and she thinks it's very funny, if that helps:
    (warning--there is sound).

I keep seeing Qwirkle and forgetting about it--it looks good.

U
    U
    Thanks for the Scrambled States of America rec! DS4 is completely obsessed with it. DD8 finds it a little easy, but is happy enough to play with him. It's fitting in nicely with DD's social studies curriculum this year.

U
    U
    I have a NON recommendation: Slamwich. That company is usually great, but this game is not so great. It causes a lot of arguments and it goes on forever. My kids still love it, but I hate it!

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM