Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Just a thought my dh and I have been contemplating. Ds7 (who I've written about a few times- hg with some 2e issues) is verbally precocious and not shy. We were sure his teacher(s) would recognize his ability on their own. Instead (not to rehash), the school thinks he's just a high achiever from a decent home. Since they are missing the boat on my ds; we are exploring other options.

Now, we are wondering what will happen with ds3.5 in 2 years. He is very different from his older brother. Will typically not "perform" For me. Yet, through games I've realized he can add/ subtract and is starting to recognize words. He is very interested in math concepts and gear/ building toys. He also has a great sense of humor.

I realize this is all speculation as who knows what ds3.5 will be like. We are going to give it a go with the neighborhood public school, and hope for the best.

Thinking of all this has led me to the question, do schools typically recognize math minded gifted earlier? Are they expecting a more globally gifted child without asynchronous? Do they not really think at all and simply look at numbers?

Originally Posted by Melessa
    Thinking of all this has led me to the question, do schools typically recognize math minded gifted earlier?

Probably.

Are they expecting a more globally gifted child without asynchronous?

Probably.

Do they not really think at all and simply look at numbers?

Depends on the school.

Thinking of all this has led me to the question, do schools typically recognize math minded gifted earlier?

DD and I are both well-balanced in our skills, but the red flag for the schools in both of our cases was reading ability.

I
    I
    Thinking of all this has led me to the question, do schools typically recognize math minded gifted earlier? Are they expecting a more globally gifted child without asynchronous? Do they not really think at all and simply look at numbers?
    This may depend on whether the school is intending to seek and identify gifted individuals -or- seeking to select students who are the best match to any advanced academic programs/services which they may have to offer. Recently discussed in this post.

There is a large difference between creating an educational plan appropriate for a child -or- selecting children for an existing plan: Matching the program to the child -vs- matching the child to the program.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM