Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I am doing some online research on the gifted programs offered by the (4) top school districts in our neighborhood. The information is limited and only one school even had documents related to their gifted program. I posted on Reddit and City Data Forum and got a few useful responses from the former, none from latter. Are there other ways to collect this information? Can I request this from the school district's even though I am not living in their territory? If yes, how would I go about it- letter to the superintendent? Is there a way to reach the PTA in these schools and ask their opinion? Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I called the neighboring school district and spoke with their director of curriculum. She was helpful, but was hesitant on a few topics that I asked about that weren't critical anyway. I got what I needed for the most part. Ask for gifted coordinator or whomever is in charge of curriculum.

I
    I
    What is your purpose for gathering info on the gifted programs offered by 4 top districts in your neighborhood?

Are you planning to enroll your children there? If so, then contacting each district as a prospective parent may be helpful. If you have worked with a local tester/psychologist, they may possibly have additional information and recommendations.

Are you considering purchasing a home within one of the districts? If so, then contacting a local real estate agent may yield information.

Are you planning to form a gifted advocacy or consultancy to serve local parents? Are you planning to write an article? Or perform comparative analysis or research amongst the districts, for purposes other than your own personal use?

In any event, you may wish to make a full disclosure of your planned uses/audiences for any information, upon your initial contact with each individual.

Z
    Z
    You could try working down from NAGC to find the most granular source in your area and contact them...

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=609

L
    OP Offline
    L
    @emeraldcity, thank you for the hint. I did contact the PTA at two of the school districts. One gave me some good info and the other pointed me to the gifted coordinator at the school. So that was really helpful. I am waiting to hear from the coordinator.
    @2giftedkids, thanks. I am not familiar with the school systems in the US so don't even know who on school staff does what. So it helps to know the titles of the relevant point of contacts.
    @indigo, my reason is purely personal. Dd4.5 will enter kindergarten this year and initially I was going to keep her in the private school she attends now. But then I came to know of a nearby public school district that has gifted program starting from k. However, that means we have to move. Before we make that big decision, I want to find out about gifted programs in our home district as well as two other highly rated district. If I can save $12k per year by avoiding private tuition and still get my kid's needs met, that would be awesome!
    @zenscanner, the link is really helpful! I will have to spend some time digging through all the links.
    Thanks again everyone for helping.

_
    _
    I'm trying to do this right now, too, from cross country, and it is so frustrating!

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Right now I've found a listserv for a gifted advocacy group in that area but they won't approve my request to be added. I'm going to try to track them down via phone number or email next and see where that goes.

I tried the city-data forum... I did get some info but also a lot of snotty comments about gifted education. Super. laugh

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM