Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Z
    Z
    Nutmeg, I'd think those transitions are the very sort that are useful because it takes scores under HG qualifying such as for DYS to above qualifying. The HG program where I live has a rubric that gives higher points based on IQ.

P
    P
    I second the extended norms not being that helpful. It raised by daughters verbal to 152 from 149 and GAI to 149 from 147 and full scale went from 133 to 136. The ranges were pretty much the same though and I don't think the "extended" scores really changed anything.

K
    K
    As a parent of a child who hit many ceilings, my understanding is as follows: The extended norms are helpful if a child is close to the ceiling of the test (FSIQ 160) and you want to know how far above that ceiling the child actually scored on GAI. They are also helpful if your child is particularly high in one area (hits more than two ceilings), as they help provide a better understanding of the overall IQ in relation to that area of giftedness. Unfortunately, the extended norms do not necessarily provide a true picture of the EG/PG child, and many testers recommend using SB-LM if you hit several ceilings on WISC-IV and have to use extend norms. The Gifted Development Center has a nice explanation of scoring the WISC-IV and the SB-LM on its website.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Nutmeg, I'd think those transitions are the very sort that are useful because it takes scores under HG qualifying such as for DYS to above qualifying. The HG program where I live has a rubric that gives higher points based on IQ.
    Yes they might have been useful in that respect (applying to DYS, which we did not do), but with regards to the gifted program in her public school it did not make a difference.

P
    P
    That was what I was told (but spoken more eloquently by kccook:)) about the extended norms. I called Pearson, the company that creates the WISC-IV and there were only two children in the entire norming sample that had a GIA over 145 and no children that has a FSIQ over 145. So if your child scores in that range (or higher, which is the case for the children of many of the people on this board) they are not being compared to a large sample, they are being compared to two children. So for very gifted children it given them a larger sample to be compared against AND is more statistically sound. The intention was not to raise scores but to give the group (that already qualifies for DYS for the most part) a true comparison group.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM