Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    Puma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Hello-- I ran into something with my DD that was unexpected and I'm not sure what to do about it (if anything), so I thought that I'd throw it open to the board for suggestions. My DD, a balanced, very fluent Spanish/English bilingual, had been writing words and short phrases here and there (in Spanish) and then a few weeks ago (over the course of a weekend) had an explosion in her writing ability. She's been writing phonetically correct (and usually correctly spelled) 20 to 30 word sentences in Spanish (her comfort language) with no instruction or assistance from us at all (she wants us out of the room while she composes her messages on the whiteboard). We've never done any instruction in reading or writing whatsoever (we're parents that believe in a lot of free play for preschoolers).

The words are crammed together, but the sentences are easy to read if you ignore the spacing. Then, about a week ago, she spontaneously wrote a 15 word sentence in English with only two misspellings (again, no correct word spacing). We had no idea she could even write in English. The vocabulary she's using in both languages is pretty advanced for her age. She wants us to read her sentences out loud on the whiteboard and then we write her sentences in return that she reads out loud. She thinks this is very fun, especially when we write her silly sentences. She doesn't appear to want any assistance with this from us, other than the appreciation of her sentences and the written sentences in return. She's a very independent learner in general.

Another parent of an older child told me that when kids first start writing, it's important to just encourage them so they think writing is fun. So that, and the return messages, is all we've been doing.

Did anyone else's kids do this? How did you handle it? I'm thinking that it seems advanced given the length and fluency of the sentences and the two languages since she's four (she's got good handwriting for her age). But I don't even have a point of reference since she's my first and only. Maybe it's more typical than I think? Or typical of kids on this board? She had profoundly early and profoundly fluent language development and speaks like a much older child in both languages. She's a kid who LOVES languages, words, puns, plays on words, etc.

I want to make sure to support this/encourage this in a developmentally appropriate way as needed. And I want to make sure I shouldn't been doing something more. Thanks so much!

N
    N
    DS started doing a lot of writing at 4 -- he would write stories (heavily plagiarized) about his favorite characters, notes to all his friends (who couldn't read yet), and even made a couple of "newspapers" with little stories and a weather report. I'm still mad at DH, 7 years later, for throwing that one away.

DD7 has been writing for a couple years now, but I'd have to look back in her "box" to see when it started. She writes (also heavily plagiarized) stories about the characters in books she's reading.

DS grew to hate writing (and reading) and almost can't be tortured into it now, but I think that's just him -- I don't get the feeling that DD will grow out of it.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Puma
    Another parent of an older child told me that when kids first start writing, it's important to just encourage them so they think writing is fun. So that, and the return messages, is all we've been doing.

I want to make sure to support this/encourage this in a developmentally appropriate way as needed. And I want to make sure I shouldn't been doing something more.

We don't do explicit teaching. We make sure notebooks and writing implements are available all over the house. We leave our kids notes, and ask them to be responsible for writing the good stuff (ice cream flavors) on the shopping list sometimes.

We want it just taken for granted that when you're waiting somewhere, writing notes (especially in code) is just a fun thing to do. If they say "I'm bored" they get a pad and pencil. They've noticed that all the other kids get electronics while waiting. Ah, well.

R
    rac Offline
    R
    Our DS, also 4.5, annotates his drawings with single sentences, but doesn't write long paragraphs yet. He is trilingual, and does this in 2 of his languages (the 2 he can read...), but still with lots of errors (he writes phonetically, except when he remembers sentences or words from his books; word separation is hit or miss. We tend to correct a couple of the errors at a time, if that. He enjoys it so much, and we don't want to ruin it. Sometimes he does ask how to write a word correctly, so he is learning...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM