Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    I agree. I think the GRE math section is a joke. The SAT and ACT math sections, I thought, were somewhat challenging for my middle school son (who took SAT in 7th grade and ACT in 8th grade) because he has only taken a limited number of high school math courses, but he ended up scoring really high. This made me even more dismayed that the average score of college bound high-school graduates is so low. It really tells how weak the K-12 math education is.

Same goes for reading, actually. The dismal national average score of SAT and ACT really has no excuse.

I also agree with someone else earlier in this thread who mentioned the question "why should all kids be college ready?". I think the society cares too much about a diploma instead of what a person is really capable of doing. The high school curriculum, in my mind, is so watered-down these days, we are simply sending kids to college to learn a lot of the stuff that they should have learned in high school for free!

I was a college professor in a big urban university befor emy current job. I am in a fairly quantitive field. I always said that I did not need my students to have had calculus in high school but they need to have had a solid background in algebra. Taking calculus as a freshman with a solid background in algebra won't set back the kids. But not solid on algebra is hard to remediate. Of course, none of this applies to a gifted child who is capable of an accelerated curriculum. I am just responding to what was said in the post I quoted.

I think that is why I hang out here even though my son is only 5. What I saw in my students scared me. I am trying to make sure that his education needs are served well. And I learn a lot from all of your experiences with your kids.

Bingo.

My DH and I have raised our 14yo with precisely those things in mind. We don't really care if she's a stellar high school student-- but more that she's actually prepared well for college (and what comes after), which (increasingly) seems to be "in spite of the efforts of the K-12 educational system as it now exists in this country."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    I didn't prepare for the SAT or GRE.
    This is the way it seems to have been intended, way back when these assessments began.

One thing that is sad is if people have to invest large amounts of time into preparation
    Some may feel sadder if this was not allowed... citing a broad array of reasons why they may need a feel to cram and "catch up" to make up for lost time.

whether it is unfair that some have the ability to do so and others don't
    Some may say that using a book (as mentioned by previous posters) is a method of test prep accessible to all?

The reality is that many people do find it hard to score well.
    The tests are meant to identify academic differences.

being able to take the SAT in seventh grade was a wonderful experience for me because it was the first time I felt like I had any sort of recognition for having academic ability. It is hard to see differences when everyone is doing the same grade level work and these out of level tests can be very useful.
    smile

T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I didn't prepare for the SAT or GRE.
    This is the way it seems to have been intended, way back when these assessments began.

I would say students who speak mainly another language has to prepare. I learned English as a subject. But I did not learn Math in English. So I at least need to know how Math in English looks like to be on level playing field with the native speakers of English.

I think everyone can get higher scores by prep. But few people can get close to 2400 no matter how they prepped. At least that is how I felt when I took it 20 years ago.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Why is the College Board so upset that only 43% are college ready? (I question if a 1550 is college ready, as that means when DD16 was in 7th grade, she was ready.)

According to the College Board report "SAT Benchmarks
    Development of a College Readiness Benchmark and its
    Relationship to Secondary and Postsecondary School Performance"
    https://research.collegeboard.org/s...ness-benchmark-secondary-performance.pdf

in 43% of the 2010 cohort were "ready". Even if the same fraction of all groups were ready, the higher earnings and other favorable outcomes of college graduates would motivate policymakers to raise this fraction. (I don't think it's possible, because of the IQ distribution without further degrading the BA.)

There is a further problem. According to the report, only 15% of blacks and 24% of Hispanics, vs. 53% of whites were ready. Only 15% of the children of non-high-school gradates were ready, compared to 52% and 68% of the children of parents with bachelors's and graduate degrees. It is very politically incorrect to assert that that these groups differences reflect real differences in ability that cannot be bridged. It's easier to talk about the malign influence of test prep and promise to create a new test impervious to test prep and producing much smaller gaps, while still predicting college grades. Actually making such a test will be more difficult.

From what I can gather and infer, the SAT was originally not a test of knowledge as much as aptitude for learning.

This was needed to truly level the playing field so that people from the best prep schools would be on an even footing with those that had been taught in one room rural schoolhouses.

The facts that the people sitting the test had retained from their education were less important than being able to demonstrate that they were 'teachable' and that they had an innate ability to reason. The SAT at that time was a good proxy for 'g'.

Over the first 3 decades of its widespread use it had a tremendous meritocratic effect on American society and many returning servicemen were able to take advantage of the GI bills and rise from poverty blighted circumstances to being affluent and respected members of the professional class.

There was one fatal flaw; it was too fair - could not be prepped for. Worse yet, people that weren't very clever - from the affluent to the poorest - were not making the cut.

So from 1974 onwards the SAT has been steadily dumbed down. Dumbing it down allowed it to be prepped for and prepping costs money. What started off as a paragon of fairness was twisted into the mess that we have today. A test that allows affluent parents to have their offspring coached into getting perfect scores while children from disadvantaged schools are left far behind.

The SAT does need changing - changing back to being more 'g' loaded not less.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/07/14 12:55 PM.

Become what you are
    {raises hand}

Um-- I'm a person who believes that those values don't reflect a real ability gap. (Referring to Bostonian's post above)

With that said, however, such measures are profoundly stupid from my perspective as a taxpayer because they are ineffective.

Ill-prepared students do NOT graduate from college. If they do, they graduate with degrees that leave them relatively ill-prepared for the workplace.

Ergo, I do not want my tax dollars subsidizing college education (a somewhat scarce resource) for anyone that isn't LIKELY to make good use of that subsidization. It's a subtle distinction, but rather like the difference between "investment" and "gambling."

smirk

It's too little too late when we're talking about high school students who are demonstrably 2-6 years BEHIND their well-prepared peers. Even a reasonably bright student is going to have difficulty cramming 8 years of study into the next four, yet we seem to be operating under the delusion that remediation can, in point of fact, "bring them up to where they should be" once they are ENROLLED in college.

That's not a racial issue, but it is a question of "advantage/disadvantage" that also happens to break along SES and racial lines.

I'm frankly indignant that the only "solution" to this pervasive problem seems to be to hit the accelerator on the train, now that we've noticed that the brakes have failed and we're running out of track. Rather crazy to think this is going anywhere good, IMO.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/07/14 12:54 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    All this nonsense just reinforces my inclination to have DD go to uni outside of this country. A country that still has institutions of higher learning in which academic merit, a solid work ethic and passion about ideas are still valued.

Soon we will have to ! We came here for Higher institutions, great idea, great research...and I feel last 8 years the decline has been rapid with the push for equality at the cost of robbing the fruits of labor of handwork, intelligence and sacrifice...
    By lower academic standards , you are making this country great ??? Alas !
    Equality is Noble but for that you must enforce Equality in hard work and sacrifice (financial , emotional, social)

It just breaks my heart that now children who want to work hard and be smart/gifted...are no longer going to be rewarded !! I really thought that this administration knew better than to completely derail this country !

I refuse to lower the Bar for My kids - because we want to learn More and they are capable of learning more ! They value Knowledge more than the material bounties!

I have no problems with making the preparation for ACT/ Sat etc available for underprivileged kids ! That is leveling the playing field, don't lower the standards.

I am surprised that all this is going on unopposed !

I
    I
    From what I can gather and infer, the SAT was originally not a test of knowledge as much as aptitude for learning.

This was needed to truly level the playing field so that people from the best prep schools would be on an even footing with those that had been taught in one room rural schoolhouses.

The facts that the people sitting the test had retained from their education were less important than being able to demonstrate that they were 'teachable' and that they had an innate ability to reason. The SAT at that time was a good proxy for 'g'.

Over the first 3 decades of its widespread use it had a tremendous meritocratic effect on American society and many returning servicemen were able to take advantage of the GI bills and rise from poverty blighted circumstances to being affluent and respected members of the professional class.

There was one fatal flaw; it was too fair - could not be prepped for. Worse yet, people that weren't very clever - from the affluent to the poorest - were not making the cut.

So from 1974 onwards the SAT has been steadily dumbed down. Dumbing it down allowed it to be prepped for and prepping costs money. What started off as a paragon of fairness was twisted into the mess that we have today. A test that allows affluent parents to have their offspring coached into getting perfect scores while children from disadvantaged schools are left far behind.

The SAT does need changing - changing back to being more 'g' loaded not less.
    This is my understanding as well.

Meanwhile CBS late-night TV comedian David Letterman did a brief faux news announcement, giving the top ten questions on the easier SAT. smirk

B
    B
    Originally Posted by luvedu
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    All this nonsense just reinforces my inclination to have DD go to uni outside of this country. A country that still has institutions of higher learning in which academic merit, a solid work ethic and passion about ideas are still valued.

Soon we will have to ! We came here for Higher institutions, great idea, great research...and I feel last 8 years the decline has been rapid with the push for equality at the cost of robbing the fruits of labor of handwork, intelligence and sacrifice...
    By lower academic standards , you are making this country great ??? Alas !
    Equality is Noble but for that you must enforce Equality in hard work and sacrifice (financial , emotional, social)

It just breaks my heart that now children who want to work hard and be smart/gifted...are no longer going to be rewarded !! I really thought that this administration knew better than to completely derail this country !

I refuse to lower the Bar for My kids - because we want to learn More and they are capable of learning more ! They value Knowledge more than the material bounties!

I have no problems with making the preparation for ACT/ Sat etc available for underprivileged kids ! That is leveling the playing field, don't lower the standards.

I am surprised that all this is going on unopposed !
    Going on unopposed? The College Board is a FOR PROFIT Corporation. It is not a government agency. It can decided to do whatever it thinks will make it the most profit. It might think it's better business decision to market more towards the average student. We don't have to like it. We don't have to use their product. There is the ACT and there are institutions that will admit students without testing.

I'm confused you say you "feel" there has been a decline in higher education in the US for the past 8 years. Can you be more quantitative? What specific makes you think that US Higher Institutions have been going downhill?

As to colleges setting basic standards, many schools already set their own minimum standards. For example Cal State Schools (Long Beach State, San Jose State, etc) have a new requirements (the past 3-4 years) that everyone who enters the university have minimum math & writing skills. One does not NEED to take the SAT/ACT to get in IF ones grades are good enough. But one needs to demonstrate by passing a system wide math & writing test to enroll You can be exempted from taking the test with high enough SAT, ACT, or AP test scores. These tests aren't necessary for admission, but if a student doesn't pass them they must pass Remedial class before they enroll. And these classes no longer count towards graduation.

Last edited by bluemagic; 03/08/14 01:14 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    The College Board is a FOR PROFIT Corporation.
    It is officially a non-profit, with it's 2011-2012 ANNUAL PHILANTHROPIC STEWARDSHIP REPORT http://media.collegeboard.com/homeOrg/content/pdf/Annual-Philanthropic-Stewardship-Report.pdf stating

"The College Board is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education."

Coleman believes that revamping the SAT and making preparation free on Khan Academy will increase equity.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM