Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So. I am new to homeschooling since we pulled our boy out of first grade this year because the school was failing him in so many ways. Pretty much every which way! Social, emotional, academic ...

My question is not what materials to do with him at home. I just let him lead by interest and provide materials that seem like they are at the right level for him.

It is possible that someday I would like to get him into a private school with a scholarship, or a private gifted school. I dreamt all night last night about how to keep up with his academic needs. He's voracious.

He is working 4th grade math and reading at this point and we will just keep moving along. We live in Wisconsin where there is no need to do testing or documenting. I believe that he will be ready and wanting to enter high school early, but I don't know how to handle that with homeschooling. I just need a bit of an idea where we are going from here! I do not wish to push him and I'm fine with it if he slows down at some point, but currently I am rushing to keep up with him and I need to look ahead to the future. kwim?

I don't feel like I have other people to talk to about this, because it seems like other homeschoolers get prickly when you talk about gifted stuff. I'm not saying my kid is better, he just has different needs. He also has mild autism, and ironically people are much more willing to discuss that with me!

S
    S
    I would definitely record every book you have him read for documentation. In fact I would document what you do as you do it. Later on it will help you make up transcripts of sorts.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I wrote a report at the end of each year that summarized what we did (and at what level) and also listed all the resources we used. I also had my son take a standardized test each year, always out of level. We started a year above age-grade level in K and by the time he was in 4th grade, he was taking the test three years above age-grade level.

When we applied to a private school for 6th grade (which was a one year skip), I submitted these documents with the application. when we asked for an additional skip at the end of 6th grade, there were no problems getting it.

I
    I
    first grade... how to keep up with his academic needs... working 4th grade math
    You may wish to look into Gifted Homeschooler's Forum (GHF) website and fb.

Many families also find Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) helpful.

Although testing and documentation may not be required in your state, because you mentioned you may like your child to attend a private school with a scholarship (which can be quite selective) and/or enter college early, it may be in your best interest to keep excellent records.

Originally Posted by Sweetie
    I would definitely record every book you have him read for documentation. In fact I would document what you do as you do it. Later on it will help you make up transcripts of sorts.

We did this-- I kept a "book box" and a log book with it-- DD knew from the time she was four that she should put books she'd finished reading "into the book box." I'd record them-- title, author, pages, genre, etc. This is how I know what she was reading and when. It was about the only formal documentation of homeschooling that we did during the first six months of homeschooling her.

Oh-- and for homeschoolers, out of level testing isn't a problem. Just order the grade level you want from F.L.O. and proctor it yourselves.

http://www.familylearning.org/

My personal advice is to go up a grade level every six months or so until you start seeing scores that aren't at the ceiling. That was our mistake. DD should have entered school at 4th (or maybe 5th) grade, and instead we placed her in 3rd because all we had was a set of 99's for the 2nd grade test (still out of level, but only by 2y, not 3 or 4).

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/08/14 07:51 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    My personal advice is to go up a grade level every six months or so until you start seeing scores that aren't at the ceiling. That was our mistake. DD should have entered school at 4th (or maybe 5th) grade, and instead we placed her in 3rd because all we had was a set of 99's for the 2nd grade test (still out of level, but only by 2y, not 3 or 4).

Excellent advice. I'm tucking that away for later with DS.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    We homeschool and choose to do standardized achievement tests (Iowa or Stanford) every year for two reasons: (a) to get the boys used to standardized testing (the lovely combination of boredom and pressure :-)) and (b) as a credential in case they want to drop into a school at some point and we need to document what they can do. HK has a good idea -- you can test at any grade level you choose.

There are a number of places (a Google search will reveal them) that permit homeschoolers (usually with a BA) to administer Iowa and Stanford. There are also
    gifted tests and credentials you can pursue: we did Johns Hopkins CTY (a) to open up to us their courses and summer programs (very mixed) and (b) as a credential for schools (and, frankly, for hostile people who question whether homeschooled kids can possibly be keeping up with their schooled peers! :-)) You take the CTY tests at a testing center, but the tests aren't particularly long or hard (up through 6th grade; after that, they take the SAT or ACt).

L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    You guys are so helpful! This is great.
    Thank you!

L
    LRS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Logging all the books he reads is a good idea. I had been thinking that I should do that. I have a homeschool app that I am using to record attendance and field trips. I can record the books on there too, although it doesn't have a way to categorize fiction or nonfiction.
    That testing site for homeschoolers is great! I had no idea there was anything like that.
    Does anyone use Khan academy for subjects too?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by LRS
    I have a homeschool app that I am using to record attendance and field trips. I can record the books on there too, although it doesn't have a way to categorize fiction or nonfiction.

What app is this? I currently record what we do in a teacher's planning book, but an app would be a lot easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM