Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I am now feeling like I set up my DD9 (January) for failure by accelerating her and having her take the EXPLORE test. She was really slow and only answered 2/3 of the questions in each section averagely with maybe 3/4 on the science.

As a 3rd grader she would have shone brightly but as a 4th grader she is middle of the pack (slightly below in Maths) which does not reflect her abilities at all ( except that she needs to work on her exam technique). She is already a DYS so it isn't as though she needs the scores for anything. BUT the EXPLORE being taken away does mean that she will never get the chance to do better on this and what we were looking for was really something with which to measure progress over over time.

Several here seem way more tuned in/connected than I so I am wondering what the consensus here is on the future of out of level testing for gifted kids. How does the MAP or the SCAT compare, for instance?

I am really concerned that my DD is not learning anything at school despite the skip and the after schooling is cutting into what is potentially developmentally critical (no pun intended) unstructured play time. A good out of level test would help us to better quantify where she is currently and will allow us to monitor this over time.

I cannot be the only one on this board having these concerns so posting here so that we can discuss and chew on the viable alternatives...

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/06/14 04:39 AM.

Become what you are
    Z
    Z
    Since Duke TIP has been using Explore, maybe write them and find out their plan and follow that?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    As a 3rd grader she would have shone brightly but as a 4th grader she is middle of the pack (slightly below in Maths) which does not reflect her abilities at all ( except that she needs to work on her exam technique).

Middle of the pack for 8th graders as a 4th grader -- or middle of the Talent Search pack-- is nothing like middle of the pack for grade-level testing.

There will be other opportunities going forward. I'd look for topic-based enrichment opportunities, and collect a portfolio of evidence for use in advocating.

B
    B
    I am now feeling like I set up my DD9 (January) for failure by accelerating her and having her take the EXPLORE test. She was really slow and only answered 2/3 of the questions in each section averagely with maybe 3/4 on the science.

As a 3rd grader she would have shone brightly but as a 4th grader she is middle of the pack (slightly below in Maths) which does not reflect her abilities at all ( except that she needs to work on her exam technique). She is already a DYS so it isn't as though she needs the scores for anything. BUT the EXPLORE being taken away does mean that she will never get the chance to do better on this and what we were looking for was really something with which to measure progress over over time.

Several here seem way more tuned in/connected than I so I am wondering what the consensus here is on the future of out of level testing for gifted kids. How does the MAP or the SCAT compare, for instance?
    No one has heard of the SCAT, and mentioning it to teachers and principals is likely to result in incomprehension. Where I live, SAT scores are comprehended and then ignored frown.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    As a 3rd grader she would have shone brightly but as a 4th grader she is middle of the pack (slightly below in Maths) which does not reflect her abilities at all ( except that she needs to work on her exam technique).

Middle of the pack for 8th graders as a 4th grader -- or middle of the Talent Search pack-- is nothing like middle of the pack for grade-level testing.

Agreed! I think you should be very proud, especially since she is managing to do this well as a very young fourth grader!

Also, your DD is getting fourth grade instruction, every day. She is learning more advanced material than the typical third grader, every day. Yes, our DDs will perhaps suffer a tad when grade-normed, but when using an age-normed assessment, your DD will shine.

Perhaps a Woodcock-Johnson Ach. test periodically would give you a better assessment? I believe those are age-normed.

We have experience with NWEA MAP testing. Again, these are grade-normed. The good thing about MAP, though, is your DD will obtain a RIT score. You can utilize the RIT score within various grades (using MAP charts) and get an idea of what percentile they would fall into in those grades.

Still, even with MAP, talent searches tout above-level tests as a superior measure. I will be curious to hear what the talent searches plan next. I imagine they have a strong interest in seeing some similar testing continue.

Q
    qxp Offline
    Q
    What do you mean EXPLORE is gone?

I
    I

P
    P
    Well. I just called Duke TIP. They do not have any plan yet.

My DD took SCAT as a 2nd grader. Yes, not a lot of teachers know what the SCAT is. Not a lot of teachers know what Explore is either. EVen one of the gifted teacher at the school :-(

My DD took Explore at 4th grade and is planning to take it again next year in 6th grade. It seems like she may have to take SAT in 6th.

For younger kids, SCAT which is available starting at 2nd grade is good for out of level testing but not an approved test for DYS qualification.

Since people do not know what SCAT was, I had to educate the school administrators and along the way, I learned how to advocate.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    Originally Posted by DeeDee

Agreed! I think you should be very proud, especially since she is managing to do this well as a very young fourth grader!

Also, your DD is getting fourth grade instruction, every day. She is learning more advanced material than the typical third grader, every day. Yes, our DDs will perhaps suffer a tad when grade-normed, but when using an age-normed assessment, your DD will shine.

Perhaps a Woodcock-Johnson Ach. test periodically would give you a better assessment? I believe those are age-normed.

We have experience with NWEA MAP testing. Again, these are grade-normed. The good thing about MAP, though, is your DD will obtain a RIT score. You can utilize the RIT score within various grades (using MAP charts) and get an idea of what percentile they would fall into in those grades.

Still, even with MAP, talent searches tout above-level tests as a superior measure. I will be curious to hear what the talent searches plan next. I imagine they have a strong interest in seeing some similar testing continue.

I am not getting the sense that talent searches are a very high priority these days for the institutions that nominally run them. There are way less grants to help the bright compared to the public funds available to help failing students, you see.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/06/14 11:53 AM.

Become what you are
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by qxp
    What do you mean EXPLORE is gone?

Gone as in:-
    nana-ner-ner, nana-ner-ner, hay-hay-ay goyud bye!

Become what you are
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM