Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Q
    Q
    Don't beat yourself over the head. The grade skip stands on its own and if it was a good choice overall, then it is still a good choice.

Some students, particularly at certain ages, are simply slower or may have trouble detaching and moving on even if they aren't terribly slow.

If it makes you feel any better, my DD, who has not been grade-skipped, took the Explore two years ago (3rd grade, age 8) as well as one year ago (4th grade, age 9), and actually had her reading score dropped from 15 and her science score stayed the same at 17. Now she knew that she messed up those two sections particularly immediately after the test because she got stuck and left so many questions blank, so I was able to reassure her immmediately that the scores didn't matter.

This school year, at age 10, her speed has improved overall and her teacher even complimented her on her great use of time during tests and other writing assignments. While DS (her twin) rushes through each assigment and invariably finishes first and gets an A, DD uses any left over time to edit and refine her answers to get that A+. It would have been interesting to see how she would have handled the Explore this year but I didn't feel like traveling two hours for just DD (DS already hit the ceiling last year) and she had to test almost every week-end in January for admission to middle schools.

Anyhow, the point that I wanted to make was that the Explore, particularly for a slower kid, may actually not be the best tool to assess how much they are learning in school. For example, I know that DD learned a ton of science between the 2nd half of 3rd grade and the 1st half of 4th grade, yet her science score stayed at 17 in 4th grade. Similarly, I know that her reading comprehension did not dropped during that period but her Explore score dropped from the 15 that she received in 3rd grade. MAP, which is untimed, may actually be more accurate in assessing math and reading.

Since she is already in 4th grade, perhaps consider skip testing for just 1 year and she can use the SAT or the ACT in 6th grade?

Last edited by Quantum2003; 03/06/14 01:31 PM.
    R
    R
    I have heard back from Duke TIP with regard to Explore testing in future years. I was told that they have contracted with ACT to offer the Explore through 2015. After that, they will be transitioning to the Aspire test.

OP Offline
    Interesting news. Thank you very much for sharing this here.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/11/14 01:21 PM.

Become what you are
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by revmom
    I have heard back from Duke TIP with regard to Explore testing in future years. I was told that they have contracted with ACT to offer the Explore through 2015. After that, they will be transitioning to the Aspire test.

FWIW, I was told the exact same thing by another Talent Search today - they'll be giving Explore through 2015.

J
    J
    good news! 2015 may not even be set in stone...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM